Offshore Salem Report 4/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went back to my spot in hopes of finding more scallops and also finding my bag with a Pelican float attached that I lost two days ago. I could live with the loss of the bag and float but the full bag was really bothering me. Luckily, as soon as I got within 100 yd's of the bed waypoint there it was :) I had a bag of scallops without getting wet. The day was off to a great start.

I decided to go down and fill my bags and then do a lobster dive. Vis was 15-20'. Water was 39°. The bed hadn't moved and I filled my 3 bags in 20 minutes. After surfacing, shucking and cleaning I motored to an area where I had done well lobstering in the past and used the rest of my tank. Vis was the same and water was up to 42°. Saw about 30 shorts and got one keeper. I left there and headed over to an island. Same conditions and got one more bug. I think the lobsters just haven't moved in yet like they should. Still, it was a beautiful day and I had a great time :dazzler1:

decapoddiver:
Went back to my spot in hopes of finding more scallops and also finding my bag with a Pelican float attached that I lost two days ago. I could live with the loss of the bag and float but the full bag was really bothering me. Luckily, as soon as I got within 100 yd's of the bed waypoint there it was :) I had a bag of scallops without getting wet. The day was off to a great start.

I decided to go down and fill my bags and then do a lobster dive. Vis was 15-20'. Water was 39°. The bed hadn't moved and I filled my 3 bags in 20 minutes. After surfacing, shucking and cleaning I motored to an area where I had done well lobstering in the past and used the rest of my tank. Vis was the same and water was up to 42°. Saw about 30 shorts and got one keeper. I left there and headed over to an island. Same conditions and got one more bug. I think the lobsters just haven't moved in yet like they should. Still, it was a beautiful day and I had a great time :dazzler1:

I am planning a mooring dive tomorrow for the annual inspection. If the weather permits I will hit Halfway for a solo dive. The temps are fluctuating a bit over the last couple of days. Lot's of mixing I guess.

--Matt

or sight-see? We fished around it Wedns and it's quite a drop-off. Does it hold bugs?

We filled a couple of bags of scallops yesterday afternoon ourselves off of Beverly. Vis and temps were both good we felt. Great first dive of the season. I may be out there tommorrow (Sunday) with some freinds. I have a white center console with a T-top and a grenn windshield. See you on and under the water.

Pretty stiff rain out there today, lot's of fog for us heading out, it lifted on the return, seas 3-5 as forecasted. I dove at Paddock and it was descent. Quite a large thermocline temp difference: 46 degrees at 20' and 39 degrees at 70'. The bugs are definitely starting to come back. I was not hunting today but spotted quite a few shorts.

Decapoddiver - no one shares information on any kind of hunting spots. :wink: Maybe Halfway is good and maybe not.

There was only one boat out there today and it was coming out as I was heading in. At this point the fog had lifted and the rain stopped (temporarily). I can imagine how wild the seas will be tonight and tomorrow.

--Matt

I was wondering if it was a place for sightseeing or hunting. I would never ask about someone's secret spots. I will find out for myself next week :) It's such a short run from Winter Island.

decapoddiver:
I was wondering if it was a place for sightseeing or hunting. I would never ask about someone's secret spots. I will find out for myself next week :) It's such a short run from Winter Island.

Halfway is my secret dive spot, as is the Poling :wink:

I'm kidding of course. I love diving Halfway because it is such a short cruise from Winter Island and it's a great site. The topography is just awesome.

--Matt

but I promise I won't tell what I just saw :wink:

This just reminded me - I spoke with a guy working with a marine scientist who has been studying Halfway Rock for several years. I can't remember his name but he plans to publish his works at some point.

The yellow markers with the numbers we see were put in place to identify a specific region to track growth as recorded by photographs.

There was also a plate looking thing that several of us spotted. This is a foundation of some sort for a device that is placed there to measure data. I don't recall the specifics now. I remember some months back we were wondering what this thing was.

--Matt

cool

matt_unique:
This just reminded me - I spoke with a guy working with a marine scientist who has been studying Halfway Rock for several years. I can't remember his name but he plans to publish his works at some point.

The yellow markers with the numbers we see were put in place to identify a specific region to track growth recorded by photohraphs.

There was also a plate looking thing that several of us spotted. This is a foundation of some sort for a device that is placed there to measure data. I don't recall the specifics now. I remember some months back we were wondering what this thing was.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom