Enviromentally sealed reg for SoCal waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

New diver here looking to purchase set of regs, most of my use will be in SoCal (LA, OC, SD areas).

I was looking at the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe reg, (only recommended to 50 degrees). Is this adequate or do I need to look into Cold Water (Enviromentally sealed) regulators?

Is is "common" for water temp to be below 50 degrees at times during the year?
(Yeah, I know I could google and find some charts, but thought asking divers from various areas would be better)

Thanks in advance for your replies,

~Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
Hi,

New diver here looking to purchase set of regs, most of my use will be in SoCal (LA, OC, SD areas).

I was looking at the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe reg, (only recommended to 50 degrees). Is this adequate or do I need to look into Cold Water (Enviromentally sealed) regulators?

Is is "common" for water temp to be below 50 degrees at times during the year?
(Yeah, I know I could google and find some charts, but thought asking divers from various areas would be better)

Thanks in advance for your replies,

~Garrett

Well I may have answered part of my post myself, I found this on diveboat.com

"At depth the water temperature can range from a low of 48°F (9°C) to a high of 72°F (22°C). In general the water temperature becomes colder to North and warmer to the South. Santa Catalina and San Clemente islands are usually the warmest sites, with San Miguel island always the coldest because of the deep water upwelling at Point Conception."

Surface temps from what I can gather are always well above 50 year round.
(http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/spac.html)

So I don't see any reason not to purchase this reg, unless someone can point out a reason for me to research more or rethink my decision. I'm sure there is some safety margin built in as well as far as the 50 degrees goes, and I don't see me being very happy being in water below 50, so it may be a mute point.

shark.byte.usa:
So I don't see any reason not to purchase this reg, unless someone can point out a reason for me to research more or rethink my decision. I'm sure there is some safety margin built in as well as far as the 50 degrees goes, and I don't see me being very happy being in water below 50, so it may be a mute point.

Well, you never know what kind of diving you may want to do in a year or more from now. I dive a Sherwood. I really like it, but others don't. It is environmentally sealed, which is cool, but freaks some dive buddy's out, and makes cleaning it a little more difficult.

I got it because I hope to go diving in the Antarctica someday. I also like diving deep. I have done several deep dives and found thermoclines with really cold water (42 - 47F) during the summer months. Unless you are only going to dive tropical water, which looking at your countdown timer, you are planning on Cally waters, you should have a reg that has a wider range of dive-ability.

I am very happy with my reg. I coulsn't imagine a different reg for me. But the best thing to do is try a variety out before you buy.

L

Laurel thanks for your reply and candid response

you never know what kind of diving you may want to do in a year or more from now
True, true, you are absolutely correct. I personally would think that if I were to change the kind of diving I want to do, down the road, I would rethink my equipment. For now, I'll be staying within recreational limits, and more importantly my own personal limits.

I got it because I hope to go diving in the Antarctica someday
Woh, not me, never say never, but no way. If that's what you want to do, that's cool, go for it, to each his/her own.

I also like diving deep. I have done several deep dives and found thermoclines with really cold water (42 - 47F) during the summer months.
Like I said, I'll be staying within recreational/my limits. But you bring up a good point about thermoclines.

you should have a reg that has a wider range of dive-ability....best thing to do is try a variety out before you buy
Once again I agree, but my location dictates that, any "try before you buy" is in a nice warm pool, and doesn't really mimic the conditions/depth/stress, it will be under in normal/abnormal circumstances. Let's face it, all the new regs probably perform well in a confined/shallow/warm environment. My LDS won't let me take a new reg to SoCal to try out for the weekend, before I buy it, and I'd assume, most SoCal dive shops are the same and don't have new/large selections of rental regs either, probably only a handful of different models a couple yrs. or more old. (You notice I said assume, I could be wrong)

So I have to rely on reviews, testing, my budget and opinions to formulate my decision.

shark.byte.usa:
Oh, I forgot to ask, why is that?

Sherwood's have a little plastic thingy in the first stage that allows a tiny trickle of air to come out during the course of a dive. This keeps stuff from getting in and the reg from freezing up. I always make sure my buddy is aware of the tiny trickle before we head into the water. Not all environmentally sealed reg are set up this way, just Sherwoods, as far as I know.

Many shops here rent regs out. Different shops rent different equipment. And, no, not all regs perform well in pools. You should try them out, even if only in a pool, as different regs do breathe differently for different people.

Nothing wrong with Sherwoods until you find yourself trying to get close to the fish and that little 'burp' of bubbles makes them go the other way. A friend of mine was in Cocos Island shooting video of the Hammerheads, they went out of their way to avoid the bubbles. For sealed regs take a look at Apeks, good cold water performer and no bubbles out of the 1st stage but many other brands out there to consider. Not to make this into a gear related thread, check out the 'Apeks vs ScubaPro' thread elsewhere on ScubaBoard.

IMO you don't need an environmentally sealed regulator unless you are diving in contaminated waters and/or plan on doing a lot of ice diving (especially freshwater). I don't know of anyone who has had a problem with their regs in San Diego and the temps can get down in the high 40's depending on depth (49 degF is the coldest I've been in personally). Almost all regulators can have a seal kit added on at a later time if you do decide one is necessary - this can be usually done at your 'annual' service so you don't have to incurr additional charges (presumably store dependent).

PnL:
IMO you don't need an environmentally sealed regulator unless you are diving in contaminated waters and/or plan on doing a lot of ice diving (especially freshwater). I don't know of anyone who has had a problem with their regs in San Diego and the temps can get down in the high 40's depending on depth (49 degF is the coldest I've been in personally). Almost all regulators can have a seal kit added on at a later time if you do decide one is necessary - this can be usually done at your 'annual' service so you don't have to incurr additional charges (presumably store dependent).

We have no problems cause we are diving APEX........nice.

ShakaZulu:
We have no problems cause we are diving APEX........nice.

You dive APEX regulators? You must be a diver :D

I've dove Atomics, Scubapro, Oceanic and Dive Rite regs with no problems. Other regulators which seem to be dove often are the ever so popular Apeks, and also Aqualung and Zeagle flatheads. I'm sure there are other brands which people out here dive, but I have not heard of a problem, in our Southern California waters, due to the lack of an environmental/cold water kit not being installed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom