Shooting Style......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fast97rs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone....

I know this may sound like a stupid question.... but i was wondering...

I have set up my shooting form from pictures that i have seen of other people shooting spear guns...

I have a 56" Sea Hornet... so bear that in mind...

I basically hold the spear gun as I would one of my pistols.... and hold it out... then i look down the shaft, and line it up with the fish... then pull the trigger....

Is this the correct style/form? Are there other ways to hold/fire your speargun?....

Thanks everyone....

Jorgy

P.S.
Please don't flame me for this... i know it may seem like a dumb question but i was just curious.....

have a friend with a handgun? get him to take the sights off and practice this way. speargun shooting is mostly instictive. recurve shooters will know what I'm talking about. sounds like you're on the right path.

Yea... i do shoot handguns, shotguns, rifles, and recurve/compound (even thought there is a huge difference between the two) bows.......

Just wanted to make sure i was doing this correctly and learn about the different styles in doing so.....

thanks

Jorgy

I shoot from the hip. Only way to do it. Youre just not cool unless you can shoot from the hip.

Just pointing the gun is a lot like "pointing the box" when taking photos or video.
With a camera it allows you to see the whole picture instead of only seeing what's in the viewfinder.
Pretty much the same with a gun, everything is in perspective.

Chad

To be *really* cool you gotta tip the speargat over on it's side, like in the hood. THAT's legit. :)

I have a mid-handle gun and I am right handed. I would extend my right arm straight out, holding the handle grip, while my left hand is on my gun's butt. I would use my right hand as a pivot point and use my left hand to move the gun left or right depend on where the fishes run. I shoot amberjact yellow tail and they come in fast and bank out fast so I have to move the muzzle fast with them. Moving the muzzle this way is faster for me than moving the whole gun.

If your gun is rear-handle, you can use your left hand somewhere near the middle of the gun and make that the pivot point. And use your right hand at the grip to move the muzzle.

Hope this help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom