Jellyfish, egg chain, or what? - Marine invert ID needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reeveseye

Contributor
Reaction score
We were diving Eagle Reef near Two Harbors earlier today, and saw this at about 40' - 50' deep, attached to a kelp strand about a foot above the bottom. It was about an inch thick, and maybe 18 - 24 inches long. I thought maybe it was a salp chain, but it seems too internally continuous, and not compartmentalized enough to be a salp. It wasn't firmly attached, and drifted off in the current as we passed by. Any ideas on what it might be?

Dr. Bill, You are the man on this one...

Maxbottomtime - thanks for the link. I checked through the other siphonophores on that site, and I'm thinking what I saw was part of a Praya Sp. The bright yellow zooids were contained in a transparent stem, and looked exactly like the photo shown. I'm not ruling out Apolemia yet, but what I saw fits much better with Praya's description. Any opinions?

I think it's very pretty.

Reeveseye:
Maxbottomtime - thanks for the link. I checked through the other siphonophores on that site, and I'm thinking what I saw was part of a Praya Sp. The bright yellow zooids were contained in a transparent stem, and looked exactly like the photo shown. I'm not ruling out Apolemia yet, but what I saw fits much better with Praya's description. Any opinions?

Reeveseye, when I want to be sure with a specific siphonophore, I usually email Dave (author of the jelly zone and the pacific coast pelagic invertebrate book), PM me if you need his email address.

Nice find! Sean got a pic of a nice hydromedusa last week in the La Jolla Canyon.
http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/cr...2005/scaledCabezonCruiserandNWall041220050109

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom