Giant Sea Bass speared in the La Jolla Preserve by scuba diver 04/24/2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have only heard a small amount of information, but here is what I have heard.

A spearfisherman was scubdiving with his spear in the La Jolla Preserve and he speared and caught a 150 lbs Giant Sea Bass. Since it is not only illegal to spearfish in the La Jolla Preserve but also to catch Giant Sea Bass, the guy was arrested. If anyone has any information about the incident please post it.

Some friends from this site PHK, Divinman, Krowsea, and California Diver saw a GSB while diving at the Shores. They said it was 3.5 feet long... It could have been the same fish... They said they were within arms reach of this creature... I wonder if Divinman got any pics of it...

It's a shame people go out "hunting" without knowing anything abou the law or even WHERE they can legally do this activity. I hope they make an example of his so others will become more aware of the law.

I thought you scubadivers would want to know!

Incredible... the idiot deserves the same fate. Of course his lawyer will probably develop some defense that will get him "off the hook" (so to speak).

Dr. Bill

i saw the fish in the water that morning appears to be the same one caught, i saw it later in the bed of a truck with a spear hole through it, we got no pictures of it before its demise.

California Diver:
i saw the fish in the water that morning appears to be the same one caught, i saw it later in the bed of a truck with a spear hole through it, we got no pictures of it before its demise.
Well, did you get any afterwards? A "bed of the truck" shot - especially with the license plate included - might be useful.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Well, did you get any afterwards? A "bed of the truck" shot - especially with the license plate included - might be useful.
Rick

Life guards spotted them men wrestling the fish into their boat and called the local police who intercepted them at the dock and arrested at least one of them.

the news was saying a 2000 dollar fine and no jail time. i saw it in the bed of a dfg truck on the news by the way.

I think it'll be more than a slap on the wrist. Historically, they come down hard on stuff like this (at least in Florida), and not just when the media picks up on it.
shark.byte.usa:
what an idiot, unfortunately he'll probably get little more than a slap on the wrist.
-edit-
Actually I take that back, since the news services picked up on it, maybe he'll get a stiffer punishment. I was hopeful it wasn't female, the article doesn't actually say.

Is this a different incident than the guy who was fishing for ling cod off La Jolla and caught a large (what they thought was maybe 300lbs) GSB and then let it go?
The stories don't have anything in common except the GSB and LJ but two in a week or so is weird.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom