Ships to Reefs meeting May 11th San Pedro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubahound_1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ok guys, this meeting is all about getting some wrecks put down in the L.A. area. We need your support on this one to help make it happen. San Pedro Ports O' Call Restaurant 7pm is the place. It's time California got some world class wreck diving...Spiegel Grove California-style anyone? Also the idea is to sink not just one but maybe a half dozen or so along our coastline, no reason Florida should have all the fun. Also if you have any opinions/suggestions/etc on this before then post them here so we have a written record of the general consensus. Thanks in advance,

Shah
Hollywoodivers

Shah, as I've mentioned to you before, I think it would be really cool to have a Wreck Alley in the LA area.

I've heard you, Bill and Hal talking about this in the shop and at your dive club meetings. I think I remember someone saying that one of you was going to attend a meeting in San Diego that was mentioned in this thread. Could whoever attended this let us know how that went?

Is this meeting at the San Pedro Ports O' Call Restaurant a thing where we get to speak with Ships 2 Reefs directly, is it something done by Hollywood Divers to get the ball rolling or is it something else?

Is Hollywood Divers spearheading the effort to get a Wreck Alley in the LA area or is this still just being talked about to decide which way to proceed?

What is the process of getting something like this done? Is their some criteria we have to meet and how can people help (if anyone knows)?

These are just some of the questions that came to mind, I'm sure people will have others.

Christian

scubahound_1:
Ok guys, this meeting is all about getting some wrecks put down in the L.A. area. We need your support on this one to help make it happen. San Pedro Ports O' Call Restaurant 7pm is the place. It's time California got some world class wreck diving...Spiegel Grove California-style anyone? Also the idea is to sink not just one but maybe a half dozen or so along our coastline, no reason Florida should have all the fun. Also if you have any opinions/suggestions/etc on this before then post them here so we have a written record of the general consensus. Thanks in advance,

Shah
Hollywoodivers

I thought california (san diego) had wrecks, and the idea is to get ships 2 reefs to do similar things in LA. I know steve at Ocean Adventure was also trying to get gather support for this, I'll also check with him to see where this stands.

It would be good for someone to lay out the issues.

Scott

The meeting on May 11th is an opportunity to talk with the Ships to Reefs people, much like the SD meeting was but with a special focus on doing something right here in the LA/OC coastal area. Also in Calfornia Diving News this month there is a posting there in reference to the upcoming meeting under "California Scuba Calendar".

What we need is a committee that can represent our needs to the parties involved, primarily state and local community leaders/representatives plus the general public. The fact that we have a real-world template (Yukon) to base our project from will hopefully facilitate the process. Between the Navy, Ships2Reefs, and ourselves we are all motivated to make this happen, let's focus our efforts and get it done!

One caveat that must be taken into account is that this is for everyone, not just divers. The whole idea is that we are making artificial reefs that will promote animal life rehabilitation and expansion.

I for one have no compelling interest in wrecks and found the Spiegel Grove to be only of minimal interest (the Duane was much better). However, knowing that wrecks are of interest to many other divers, I'm always interested in anything that promotes more opportunities for divers in the region.

I know Bob Kennedy of SCUBA Luv here on Catalina is involved as well.

My newspaper column for the week after next describes diving some of the wrecks in Florida, and suggests that we could really use a large ship with local history associated with it... I suggested the 619 foot "Glomar Explorer," Howard Hughes' monster that frequented Catalina waters in the early 70's to experiment for the recovery of a Soviet submarine that sank off Hawaii... er, to test manganese nodule mining. Right CIA?

Dr. Bill

Last I heard the Glomar Explorer was homeported in Houston, following a lengthy refit into a modern (but small!) drillship.

The JOIDES Resolution is supposed to be deactivated in a few years. She's fairly similar to the Explorer. That would make one swell wreck!

Why do we need another wreck? We've already got Headhunter Wreck off old Marineland. :D

After diving the Moody and Olympic over the weekend, I am even more pumped up on getting more wrecks in our neck of the woods. Truth be told, the Yukon project was hard because mainly it was our first time for a project like that and second it was from Canada so no govt funding per se but now we have a viable template on how to do it. As I said before, the Navy is motivated on getting rid of these ships (will pay for towing, cleaning, sinking), we want them here for all to enjoy (world class wreck diving anyone, why go to Florida except for warm water), and the bottomline is that it helps the fish populations expand when properly managed. Please attend to voice your opinions, suggestions, questions, or even better get involved in this. San Pedro Ports O' Call Restaurant (near berth 76) at 7pm. See ya there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom