Does anyone like the Neptune II W/ Nira?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJP161

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm considering a FFM and was looking at the Neptune II W/ Nira to use for recreational diving. I like the idea of using the FFM because I have been a Firefighter for the last 16 years and that is what I'm used to. I will get the recommended training I was just curious if anyone had any comments on the Neptune II or the Poseidon. I did some searches and mostly came up with negative comments on the Neptune but I believe the Neptune II was supposed to overcome those problems? Thank-you.

JJP161:
I'm considering a FFM and was looking at the Neptune II W/ Nira to use for recreational diving. I like the idea of using the FFM because I have been a Firefighter for the last 16 years and that is what I'm used to. I will get the recommended training I was just curious if anyone had any comments on the Neptune II or the Poseidon. I did some searches and mostly came up with negative comments on the Neptune but I believe the Neptune II was supposed to overcome those problems? Thank-you.

Overcome problems? You can put all the lipstick on that pig you want, nothing will make it a good mask. Why not go with something that's tried and true? The Divator (AGA Mask, US Navy MK20) is the best mask in its class and has one of the best regulators designed for a full face mask. The Divator was designed for diving, not adapted from some other application. The Neptune was a gas mask. No adjustments, valves or tweaks will overcome hydrostatic issues with that low performance regulator stuck so far out in front of the Neptune.

Sorry to sound too negative, but it's hard to say something nice about poor equipment, after all, it's only life support. Talk to people who dive the equipment regularly. If you get a chance to dive any of the masks, jump at it. It's not hard to see which rises to the top.

mntdiver:
Overcome problems? You can put all the lipstick on that pig you want, nothing will make it a good mask. Why not go with something that's tried and true? The Divator (AGA Mask, US Navy MK20) is the best mask in its class and has one of the best regulators designed for a full face mask. The Divator was designed for diving, not adapted from some other application. The Neptune was a gas mask. No adjustments, valves or tweaks will overcome hydrostatic issues with that low performance regulator stuck so far out in front of the Neptune.

Sorry to sound too negative, but it's hard to say something nice about poor equipment, after all, it's only life support. Talk to people who dive the equipment regularly. If you get a chance to dive any of the masks, jump at it. It's not hard to see which rises to the top.

Thank-you, I guess I'll look at the AGA and the Posiedon. Besides the AGA is almost exactly like the Drager SCBA's I used when I first got on the Fire Department 15 years ago and I always loved them for firefighting. Now if only Scott would make a Scuba FFM I would be set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom