Bulk hose, cut to fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nostromo

Registered
Reaction score
I posted something similar in the DIY (Do It Yourself) forum so if that's the place for it feel free to kill this one, but my question does have a DIR slant to it so I put it here too.

Given the minimalist nature of the DIR philosophy, what does everybody think about cutting each hose to exactly the right length for the intended application. My question is really two fold. One, I looked at the EE website and saw the prices for their Halcyon hoses, and personally I think I could do a lot better with a bulk reel of hose and a bunch of fittings. Two, if I'm going to cut the hoses to length anyway why not tweak it a little if need be. I realize DIR is all about standardization, but I'm not talking about major length changes, just enough so that for my specific person, it doesn't feel tight or "flap in the breeze" as you guys say. Any ideas?

thanks,
e.a.e.

Nostromo:
I posted something similar in the DIY (Do It Yourself) forum so if that's the place for it feel free to kill this one, but my question does have a DIR slant to it so I put it here too.

Given the minimalist nature of the DIR philosophy, what does everybody think about cutting each hose to exactly the right length for the intended application. My question is really two fold. One, I looked at the EE website and saw the prices for their Halcyon hoses, and personally I think I could do a lot better with a bulk reel of hose and a bunch of fittings. Two, if I'm going to cut the hoses to length anyway why not tweak it a little if need be. I realize DIR is all about standardization, but I'm not talking about major length changes, just enough so that for my specific person, it doesn't feel tight or "flap in the breeze" as you guys say. Any ideas?

Some people need different size hoses. Especially the hose for the backup regulator might differ, since it can make a difference when you are diving single or double, and depending on your hose routing (which can be different with different first stages). The hose for the backup regulator should be long enough to move your head when you use it, bot not so long that it will go over you right D-ring.
Same applies for the HP hose. It should be just long enough to reach the left hip D-ring and be readable.

As far as I know it is fine within DIR to make those hoses yourself. As long as they are as reliable as the ones you buy in the store and no extra o-rings are needed.

You don't need hoses with a big H on them. :wink:

You can get HP and LP hoses in a variety of lenghts if you look around.

I personally would never use a hose that someone "made". To me there is no point. The minimal cost savings wouldn't be worth the added potential risk. In the big scheme of things, hose costs are almost insignificant ...

Mark

I've wondered about making my own hoses too - have you found any sources for supplies? And what kind of tools are necessary for the crimping?

Tim

(over here it would pay for itself quickly just to avoid continuous shipping charges - a single 22" LP hose cost me $30 because of shipping :( )

Tim,

What DAN plan do you have?

:wink:

Mark

Hey Mark,

Is this what is called a complete "hijack?" lol

at any rate...

Master - didn't like the limitations of the standard and the premium didn't add much until you have used up the lifetime limits of the master plan anyway, or you went out of country for your diving - neither of which applies to me at this point in time.

Aloha, Tim

Uh, I was implying that it would be prudent to have good coverage if you decide to make your own hoses. :D

mweitz:
Uh, I was implying that it would be prudent to have good coverage if you decide to make your own hoses. :D

LOL - i thought this was just a complete spin-off from the SAUEdir forum - same question over there today...

duhhh [hitting head against brick wall] - call me dense today

actually - making hoses would not be any different than many other things you make - If done carefully should not be much of a safety issue...

Tim

btw - Somebody somewhere has to make them... I wonder if we found they were being made in someone's garage - would it change the perception? - Pretty straightforward fastening - security is all in the tools used to crimp things together and a little practice first... wanna test my first ones for me?

The biggest difference is that most things you DIY don't have the potential to kill you.

Without dragging this thread on and on, think about the manufacturing process, think about the liability for the manufacturer. They have to have a system where they are pretty darn certain that their hose is good, in order to avoid litigation in the case of an "incident". How would you develop that system? How would you know for certain that the hose you made is up to standard?

Mark

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom