Don't Eat The Mussels.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCdiving Deb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There is an annual quarantine on SPORT-HARVESTED mussels that will begin this Sunday. It lasts until October 31. This occurs annually throughout California to protect consumers from Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) and Domoic Acid Poisoning. There is no way to tell from looking whether a bi-valve is infected with the toxins that cause these illnesses and so the CA Department of Health Services issues this annual quarantine. Cleaning and cooking do not remove the toxins.

All year: Be especially careful to remove all the dark colored viscera in scallops because the toxins are more concentrated there and can be present year-round.

Commercial harvesters' products are certified safe because their bivalves are tested for the presence of the toxins. Whenever testing shows elevated levels, the CDHS quarantines commercially harvested bivalves also.

Mussels can be used as bait year-round.

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

This link explains more and is very useful!

NOTE: I originally wrote that SCALLOPS should not be consumed but I drew conclusions that were not correct as far as I can tell. I am sorry for the confusion.

Debbie

As Jean-Michel Cousteau told me decades ago, don't eat ANYTHING that filters... organisms like mussels, clams (rock scallops may be OK because you are eating the muscle tissue only) or organs like kidneys and liver. Much as I love mussels, I tend to heed that advice year-round.

I'd be interested in the effect the elevated temperatures this winter may have had on mussel toxicity, etc. Any info from "the Big Island" Debbie?

Dr. Bill

about not eating shellfish during months without an "r" in them...this extends it a bit, though. Maybe we're just that much further south...

I made some corrections in my original post, including the title. Please make sure to read it again so bad info does not get spread. The official press release link is a valid source.

It is MUSSELS that are quarantined. Not SCALLOPS.

I have been unable to talk to the expert because he is out of the office until Friday (which could mean Monday.) I may have to amend this again.

Sorry for the confusion.

Deb

Debbie-

You mean you are taking responsibility for "the confusion" (I'm referring to what's inside my brain most of the time). Thanks!

When are you and Derek coming back out to the Park?

Dr. Bill

drbill:
<snipped> I'd be interested in the effect the elevated temperatures this winter may have had on mussel toxicity, etc. Any info from "the Big Island" Debbie?

Dr. Bill

It's been COLD this year! The last month anyway! It is just beginning to warm up.

Some years DHS extends the quarantine outside the typical May 1-Oct 31 dates and since they did not need to do that this year, it appears we are OK, so far. I've also not heard of any marine mammals beaching themselves due to domoic acid poisoning like the last couple years. Have you?

drbill:
Debbie-

You mean you are taking responsibility for "the confusion" (I'm referring to what's inside my brain most of the time). Thanks!

When are you and Derek coming back out to the Park?

Dr. Bill

Yep. It was my blunder and unfortunately it was not the first one I've made this week. I really hate when that happens.

I need to find my commuter book for the Cat Express before we can come out again. I put it into a really safe place.... I may never get there again.

I fixed the title to read "mussels" instead of "scallops" for you.

Now all the scallop eaters can relax as the threat to their favorite munchies is gone. :wink:

Christian

headhunter:
I fixed the title to read "mussels" instead of "scallops" for you.

Now all the scallop eaters can relax as the threat to their favorite munchies is gone. :wink:

Christian

I wonder if anyone that reads this board (besides Dr. Bill, apprarently) would actually eat mussels?? Really Bill?

Scallops?? Absolutely.... they're one of my FAVORITES!!!

kelphelper:
I wonder if anyone that reads this board (besides Dr. Bill, apprarently) would actually eat mussels?? Really Bill?

Scallops?? Absolutely.... they're one of my FAVORITES!!!
You're welcome!

I eat mussels. They taste really good in a paella or just steamed with butter.

I'll have to admit that I'd much rather just go to a nice restaurant to eat my seafood than hassel taking my own. That may change if I ever get an SUV, but for now it's too much of a hassel to try to get anything else in my car.

I'm not saying that seafood takes a lot of space, but I'd rather put stuff in a container to keep the aroma down in the car. Of course, a good sized tuna would take a larger vehicle. :eyebrow:

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, mussels. :wink:

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom