Portland Quarry & Other New England Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic001918

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just had a couple of questions now that it will soon be diving season again here (for those of us diving wet).
First, does anyone know the status of the Portland Quarry project in Connecticut? It's about 20 minutes from my house, and would be great if they opened it up for diving.
Second, has anyone been out for any local diving (freshwater or salt)? What was the viz and what were the temps? I'm thinking of maybe doing a few lake dives in the upcoming weeks since they may be warmer than Jamestown or anywhere else? Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Shane

Shane, I think the season has started.

I dive wet and dove at Dutch last weekend. I know it's a bit south of here, but it's still relatively close.

I'm diving a lake in Connecticut this weekend. I'll let you know afterward what the temps and vis are.

I'll be in Jamestown/Ft. Wetherill in 3 weeks. I'm sure it'll be quite a bit warmer.

Regarding Portland Quarry, there was a lot of discussion about it in another thread, very recently. Try a search. The information was pretty helpful.

We'll hopefully get some diving in sometime soon. Take care.

Michael

If you want to know about the Portland Quarry, contact Ed Hayes at Scuba Shack in Rocky Hill, CT. They are the ones running it. Last year it was by invite only, but they may have it opened up a bit more this year.

The portland quarry is still being worked on. Ide like to get a lake dive soon thinking either westhill or Bashan lake. Most likely Bashan since I get my air in Essex

Who can give me directions to Portland Quarry from New Haven

91 North to Cromwell and take Rt 9 south. Go under portland bridge and take first exit and bear right and go over the portland bridge, Once you go over bridge, it may be the second dirt-poorly paved road on the left. Silver street comes into mind for some reason, Don't fall off a cliff either as there are no guard rails up at the cliffs, Always wondered if someone at night would ever pull over to take a p$$# stop and go over the edge.

ScubaSarus:
91 North to Cromwell and take Rt 9 south. Go under portland bridge and take first exit and bear right and go over the portland bridge, Once you go over bridge, it may be the second dirt-poorly paved road on the left. Silver street comes into mind for some reason, Don't fall off a cliff either as there are no guard rails up at the cliffs, Always wondered if someone at night would ever pull over to take a p$$# stop and go over the edge.

Well, there are several cars over by the ledge, though no bodies were in them.

I'm only 5 to 10 mins away from the quarry. Let me know if a window of op arises for me to dive it with someone who's familiar with the quarry

Chris

Who owns it now. I may go to city hall. Did someone just buy it from the town ? They have a large crew that dives with that shop and I'm sure they get lots of volunteers.

Back
Top Bottom