great find at the shores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

California Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
i know you all have heard rumors of the indian sites off the shores but i actually found an intact indian bowl from thousands of year ago tonight! i couldnt believe my eyes. so cool

no , didnt have a camera, my buddy saw it though! ill find it again and get some pics...

illegal to remove objects from a preserve

Very cool !!

That is really cool. You might want to find an antropologist at a University and tell them about it. They can usually get permission to remove artifacts, and then you can find out where/who/when it really came from. There have been major finds made by people happening upon something, and you never know.

You definitely deserve congratulations for not removing the bowl you found. I'm impressed with your adherence to the rules.

The bowl may be much more recent than you suggest, at least based on my understanding from our local "indigenous" culture. I don't think the technology for making bowls emerged until later, although I'd have to verify this from my notes. Our "indigenous" cultures did have a healthy trade with the mainland, transporting the steatite bowls they carved to the mainland in tomols. It is reported that these tipped in the surf spilling their payload... and there has been a rise in sea level post-glacial that may have inundated sites.

Again, very impressive that you left it where it was!

Dr. Bill

justleesa:
you didn't take it with?

That is just the thing we want to promote here on Scuba Board.......geeezuz. That's why I'm glad that the co-ordinates to some of our better wrecks are kept secret, eg the P38.

How deep was the area in which you found it?

The reason that I ask is because I can't imagine anything ceramic (unless it was fairly deep) not being ground to dust by the waves over a long period of time.

Christian

Back
Top Bottom