Instructor Gary Taylor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roguediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just looking for anyone that has heard anything about Gary Taylor. Im thinking about taking some of his cave courses and was just wondering if anyone has taken any classes from him or anyone has been diving with him, and if so, what do you think of him as an instructor and cave diver. Thanks for the info.

:sharky:

The same ***10000*** dive Gary Taylor. Mr USDCT (US Deep Cave Diving Team) member?

I would seriously want to know more about his 10000 dives....sounds....well...rather suspect. USDCT just screams that you are a joke to put it bluntly. Do some more research and look at some alternatives ( make sure you interview each one on the phone or in person). If they won't reply to your questions or emails then how will they be if they are your instructor?

Check these guys out in this order:

Tyler Moon
David Rhea
Christophe Le Maillot
Daniel Riordan
Dave Sweetin

These guys do the dives and you won't have to run and hide when someone asks who your instructor was. Unfortuniately a harsh reality in the cave community.

Thanks for the information, 10000 dives that is a lot of dives. Do you know how long Mr. Taylor has been diving. I know that Sheck Exley Had over 5000 cave dives before he died and thats not counting all the other dives that he had done and Sheck was not that old. Do you know how old Gary Taylor is. Once again thank you for the information.

:sharky:

Maddiver

How do I get information on the guys you gave me.

Tyler Moon
Daved Rhea
Christoper Le Maillot
Daniel Riordan
Dave Sweetin

also Maddiver how long have you been diving, are you cave certified and how many dives do you have. Once again thanks for any information you can give on the other guys.

Tylers contact tylermoon@mindspring.com

NACD Training Committee Member
NSS-CDS Instructor Institute Staff Evaluator
NSS-CDS Most Active Instructor- 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998
NACD Most Active Instructor- 1997
Alachua Sink Guide Committee Member

This is the kind of stuff you can take to the bank....most active cave instructor...knows about students and what to look for.....wkpp gas diver....does the big dives......Britannic expedition....does the even bigger dives. This is the type of guy you want putting you through the paces. Check up on his credentials

The others (instructors) you can get from GUE website www.gue.com

Well how many people are out there like Sheck? That guy was crazy about cave diving enough to buy property with cave on it and basically lived there while exploration was going on. Gary is nowhere near Exley status. Its hard to dive that much when you aren't living and breathing it....not that you cannot dive a lot. Lets say he is 50ish (Gary) and I believe seeing he has been diving for ~27 years (long long time) That's over 370 dives a year (sorry that I just have to call bs on that one). Silvia Earle only has 6,000 and she's the grandma of marine biology.....so look at the figures, they just don't add up. Look I respect honest people with a lot of experience, I do not respect liars even ones with loads of experience.

Now for my skill set, you are welcome to call up Ginnie Springs and ask for a reference (Connie should be able to help you out on this one) or call Extreme Exposure/Halcyon in highsprings and ask Charlie Roberson, Tyler Moon, Anthony Rue, JJ or any of the other characters. Stop by and talk to Steve Gerrard's wife Kate Lewis when in the Yucatan. Or better yet, buy the video 'Cave Diving the Yucatan Peninsula' and evaluate my skill set for yourself. Some UK tech divers Devin Mackenzie or Phil Rae should be glad to give you a delightfully british perspective so don't be shy.

Regards,

Lance Carlson

Maddiver

Thank you for the information. Mr. Moon sounds like a good instructor I would prefer my certs. through NSS-CDS anyway. I'v just heard a lot of good things about that group. I would love to get a copy of that tape (Cave diving the Yucatan Peninsula) were can I get one. Like I said befor Mr. Carlson im not a cave diver yet but I will be some day soon with the proper training. I wont to know all the pros and cons about every one before I make a choice about anyone or anything; even you. Im not going to pretend to know every thing about cave diving or diving in general but I will do a detailed investigation on every aspect of cave diving. Then and only then will I call B.S. on what I think is B.S. Mr. Carlson I do thank you for the information and any you can give at a later date.

Thanks again.

JEFF HALEY

Hey whatever happened to some train in a lost mine in MO that Gary was looking for???

I will tell you what! Nothing. This guy put on a three ring circus in MO.

I know of a few people that took his classes and from what I saw first hand, it was very very very SAD!!!!!

I saw him a few years back before he moved north and he was really looking out of shape for any type of technical diving. IMHO

Remember, it does not matter if the training agency is GUE,IANTD,TDI,PADI,XYZ, NCI, IBM.NSS-CDS,NACD, or JOE's Cave Diving School.. It all comes down to the insturctor.

Have the instuctor give five of his past students in the last six months and email them or call and ask them what they thought of the class.

Find out what is taught in the class and how long the class is. Pick up a few different books from the different places and READ, READ and READ.

If he or she says sorry I cannot give out that info., move on to the next person.

Joe--Just the facts.

How far awawy are you from East MO??

I live in Chattanooga TN. Not real shure how far it is Id say about a good 8 to 10 hour drive just a guess though.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom