La Jolla divers: when are conditions optimal for the cove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reeveseye

Contributor
Reaction score
I've wanted to try La Jolla Cove for some time now. A buddy and I were planning on it this Monday, but the San Diego lifeguard recording said it's closed due to a sewage spill. Much as I want to do some diving there, I have no desire to add the infamous "brown nudibranch" to the sightings section of my dive log. I might try again in a couple of weeks.

My question, though, is what are the conditions to look for on the Scripps Southern California swell model? I just figured out how to read it, but I don't know enough about San Diego geography (I'm from Orange County) to know when the swells are good or bad for diving. What should I be looking for? How important is swell height as opposed to direction? The model shows what direction the swells are coming from both the north and south Pacific. Which has greater impact on the cove? Are there certain directions which, if I see them on the swell model, I should just say "forget it" and dive elsewhere? Or conversely, what swell direction is optimal for good conditions and visibility? Are conditions better during any particular times of the year?

I'm specifically interested in La Jolla Cove because I'm trying to find a shore diving site that doesn't involve a long hike from the car/staging area to the water or require mountain climbing skills just to descend a bluff (I know there are stairs at La Jolla, but that's no big deal). And most importantly, I'm trying to find a protected spot with no more than ankle-slappers for waves upon entry. I'd like for my wife to be able to dive there with me, and she has no interest in fighting her way past even small surf to get out to the reef. From everything I've heard, La Jolla fits that description most of the time. San Diego divers, your input would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom