Mask lanyard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aa777888

Reaction score
Anyone use a lanyard on their mask to prevent it from being lost?

I've seen people wear it under a beanie or light hood for that purpose, but if you don't want to wear something like that...

aa

I would hazard a guess that there may be a possible entanglement issue or because of it's existence the probability of having one's mask accidentally removed would be significantly increased.

I'de like to hear more on this. How about a small attachemnt to the hood.?

nope, and never seen anyone doing it. Losing masks isn't that big a problem and I think a lanyard would cause more harm than good.

If someone has their mask under their hood, it might not be to prevent losing it. Rather, they may find it's easier to seal the mask to their face without the hood getting underneath.

A mask lanyard is new to me. Sounds pretty useless though.

yeah I wouldnt waste my time or money. Sounds like another thing to get tangled with, could pull off my mask if it does, is probobly a pain in the ***, and if my mask comes off, ill probably find it within the few seconds it takes for it to start sinking anyway.

-Matt

aa777888:

I've seen people wear it under a beanie or light hood for that purpose, but if you don't want to wear something like that...

aa

The only place where a lanyard would have been helpful for me is entering/exiting when there are significant waves on the beach. But the easier solution there is to put your mask down arond your neck until you are out past the surf zone.

I figure that the mask strap pretty much acts as a lanyard.

aa777888:

aa

The only time there is a real chance of loosing a mask is when you are going through the surf zone while getting in or out of the water. What I do if it looks like a wave could come over my head is but my hood _over_ the mask strap. This is, put the mask on then pull the hood over.
Very hard to loose mask that way. Once I get out past the surf I'll switch it back. Hoods are warmmer if they seal beter.

Back
Top Bottom