DIR-F Reel & Lift noob question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanked Monkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is my first post to the DIR forum. I don't know a single other person who is DIR inclined, otherwise I would ask them about it. I have just signed up for Fundamentals in the end of June, in Dutch Springs, PA. I am currently diving BP+W (DiveRite SS BP, OMS 35lb wing), Apeks ATX50 primary on a 7' long hose, Apeks AT20 on the bungee. I have 45 dives under my belt, and am AOW certified through SDI. I would eventually like to get into cave diving, but I realize that is a long term goal, so DIR-F is a good place to start. My question is about the "shooting a bag" part of the course.

I would like advice as to which reel and lift bag to purchase, and from where. The requirement from GUE's website is only "One spool with 100 feet/30 meters of line per diver". Of course, I would like to buy equipment correctly the first time, so I don't duplicate purchases because I didn't think it through properly. I believe buying correctly the first time is the best way to keep costs down.

Reel: I have heard that a finger spool is acceptable, but my LDS (an SDI/TDI shop) only stocks DiveRite fingerspools, and only have a 50'. Because of that, I am looking elsewhere. I guess a finger spool would be the best for me in my current diving, as it does not take up too much room. The requirement is 100' of line, and I figure 100'-150' would be most versatile. Do you have any fingerspool recommendations for me to go to?

SMB: I have heard 2 schools of thought about purchasing a sausage, or lift bag. I already have a cheap-o sausage, which is basically a very long plastic bag: pretty much useless. A real sausage will be more useful for me right now, but a lift bag may be more useful in the future for safety hangs. I'm shying away from 100lb lift bags, as I think they amay be overkill for my application. So I was thinking either a 50lb bag, or small safety sausage that I can attach to the line. If sausage is the way to go, should I look for an orally inflated one, or open bottom for a reg?

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to it, and have been working on my skills for the class. Of course, I'm will not attempt shooting a bag without someone else trained in this skill, as I don't want to get wrapped up in the line, etc. I even have the backwards kick down with my Quattro's (albeit only 4-5 feet backwards, but that's a start). I'm about to buy a pair of Jets or Turtles to make it better (my LDS doesn't sell these fins either). If I fail the class, I want it to be because of my skills, not my equipment.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Hey Mike,

You should double check with your instructor, but a 100 - 150' finger spool is what you really want (no reels for Fundies). I have a couple of the Halcyon bags. The small one is good for a lot of stuff, and should serve you well. I think that you will find shooting a 40# bag or larger is fairly difficult to do.

Personally I have two 150' spools, and keep one in my left pocket as a backup and one rigged up to my bag in my right pocket. It is a little harder to get out of my pocket, but I like the added width of the 150 with drygloves.

You should go over all your equipment with your instructor before you start class, and run any new gear purchases by them (well, I think you are fairly safe with jets / turles and spring straps). Your Quattro's may be fine, if they are rigid and non-split, they meet the requirements. Once again, check with your instructor. With that said, I'm sure someone will post how Quattro's will be the end of civilization as we know it :wink:

http://www.salvodiving has spools, as does http://www.extreme-exposure.com. I think a Delrin spool is worth a couple extra bucks. The Dive Rite ones are some other type of plastic I think. A little cheaper perhaps, but I like the way the Delrin looks better :D

Mark

FWIW: I used a 100' finger spool and a D/R 50lb liftbag.

Mike,

For the class, you'll only be shooting from 30 ft or less, so don't worry about the larger spools. I use a 100 ft spool with 10-15 feet removed from it to make it easier to secure the double ender to the spool holes. If you're going to be using dry gloves, there are a couple of new spools out there that have extended "inner cores". This allows you to clip the double ender to the inner core and use it as a handle to wind the spool. The center hole is enlarged also, I believe.

You will not be "hanging" from your SMB or lift bag! Buy something you think you'll use most often, but that can be stowed easily in your MC pak or leg pocket. I don't lift anything, so I use Halcyon's 6ft SMB. You'll want at least a semi-closed bag so that it won't dump at the surface.

Have fun in your class!

Recommendations to ask your instructor are what I was told with the same question... for what it's worth I ended up using a finger spool from DSS http://www.deepseasupply.com/page13.html for $6 ($20 - filled and with ss double ender) I like it because the finger hole is larger than the Halcyon (so the double ender fits through and makes a kind of handle).

I also picked up a dsmb from triple-l.biz http://store.triple-l.biz/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=123 for $12 with a wetsuit order I had (so shipping didn't matter)

I would much rather have the DSMB from Halcyon, but at the price difference I went with the cheap one (eventually I hope to get a Halcyon)

Just my opinions on the subject - again talk with your instructor...

Aloha, Tim

Hi Mike,
Like others have already recommended, Call your instructor and ask him for his advice (that is what your paying for)
As for spools, I have used the derlins and now stainless. Make sure you don't waste money on just a plastic one. The moment someone or yourself crushes it with a tank you will regret it.
I took the class with a 6'smb and am looking to buy a lift bag as the lb is multi purpose. You will want something large enough to get your name on in BIG letters like MIKE. The idea of this is so the boat knows who you are when its deployed.
Don't get to hung up on gear. It is kind of fun (as well as humiliating) to learn what is recommended and why from the horses mouth.
The task of shooting a bag along with other drills are fun but I think the idea is, can you do the task while remaining neutural in the water column, remaining focused on your surroundings and your buddy.

Best wishes on your class,

Thank you all for your advice. I agree. I'm not really ever planning on lifting anything, but having a good safety sausage will be beneficial. And with minimal lift, it won't take off like a 100lb bag. I found the halcyon SMB's, but they were all pretty pricey, and I was hoping to find something a bit, er, well, cheaper. Since the sausages seem to be much cheaper than that, I think I can find something that will work out well. Now if I could only find a semi-closed sausage that wasn't $100...

I also like the advice for delrin fingerspools. I will look into that. And they are not that much more $$$ than regular plastic.

I'm really looking forward to the working on my technique and drills. This really helps to clear the last things up for me. Thanks again for all of your advice. I will also run any purchases by my instructor beforehand.

Mike

a 150' delrin or stainless spool is all you need for the class. for the SMB a small one of around 20 lbs of lift, like the halcyon 3.5' will be fine for the class and is easy to handle. its a fine SMB for shore diving and relatively calm conditions. the 4.5' 40lbs SMB would be better for boat diving in rough weather. the 6' 52lbs SMB is huge and i can't imagine conditions around here that you'd need to use it -- might come in handy on the NE or the great lakes i guess... the smaller the lift bag the more manageable it will be, and the easier it will be to drill with. there's a big gap between the 3.5' and 4.5' SMBs -- the 4.5' is much bulkier (and much fatter when inflated) and unless you're deep you'll need more than a lungful in it to fully inflate -- and when it inflates it'll take off like a rocket. the 3.5' fits really nice and tight in a drysuit pocket, and it easily inflates with a single exhale... i've got both bags for different conditions... i've also got a lift bag as well...

Mike,

I'd say go ahead and get the 150' since you'll need it as a safety spool for Cave 1 anyway.

I've used a Halcyon 6' closed-circuit SMB for several years, but prefer the new 60# semi-closed Halcyon lift bag which I recently acquired. I find the latter one to be easier to stow in and deploy from the backplate pack, plus it can be inflated from my primary reg instead of unhooking an inflator hose.

Thanks for all of your advice. I spoke with my instructor about this, and have decided to purchase a Halcyon Defender Fingerspool (delrin) with 150' of line and a DiveRite liftbag with 50lbs of lift. I think this will allow me to complete the class successfully, and allow me to use it in my next stages of diving. If I'm lucky, I can get them both for just over $100 total. Thank you all.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom