Narrow face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi.

At the risk of repeating a common question, I was wondering what masks people with a very narrow face have found fit best.

I have a very narrow face and have found that the Sporasub Samurai and the Scubapro Futura2 fit me well (the former better than the latter--the Futura2 is not as comfortable and can leak a bit occasionally, but it's not bad--the Samurai is fantastic). I was wondering if there are any others I might try.

Thanks.
Mahjong

My vote goes for the Cressi Lince. Even lower volume than the cressi superocchio according to Cressi of couse LOL!

SangP

yeah I am curious about that too... I am thinking of buying a new mask because my cressi-sub big eyes mask had leaked some. let's see what others say.

mahjong:
At the risk of repeating a common question, I was wondering what masks people with a very narrow face have found fit best.
Try a Cressi Matrix. It was around 1 cm narrower than several other masks I tried.

Hi,

Generally the width of the skit is the most important feature with any mask, the narrower the face the narrower the skirt.

I have a pretty narrow face too and at it's 13.7cm at the widest, around my cheek bones and about 12.7 around the bones near my eye.

The best fitting mask for me seems to be the Poseidon 3D, Tusa Viewtrek and the Cressi Lince (a tad small but ok). However, even with my narrow face, a Mares X-vision/pure vison fits fine in fact even the huge Tusa Visulator fits me ok... go figure.

Generally asians don't have wide faces so if you can get a hold of masks made for the asian market, like the Apollo Bio metal, Cressi Lince, Tusa Viewtrek or whatever, it should do fine.

Check these reviews out:
http://www.divernet.com/equipment/masks2004/index.shtml
http://www.scubastore.com/shop.asp?id_familia=9&id_subfamilia=32

Cheers

I had this problen with a student a couple of weeks ago, We solved the leaky mask problem by having him try, and he bought a childs mask made by TUSA.

My favorite masks are the Tyke and the Tyke Midi by Aqualung!! :07:

Back when I was mask shopping I I stumbled across (from Google) someone who actually took out a measuring stick to a long list of masks and wrote down what they found. Sorry but I lost that site a long time ago. This person also measured how much volume was in each mask.

One of the few (on that list) that had a width of less than 11 cm was the Aqualung Tyke (it was 10.5 cm). Sure enough, I went to a store that carried it, and it fit.

I'm upset that the manufacturers don't publish the sizes of their masks. It would make shopping so much easier. Imagine going clothes shopping and there were no sizes. Next time I go mask shopping I'm going with a ruler and an attitude.

YES - SangP (see above) found the review site i was referring. Some of those masks are hard to find, but hopefully you can find one or two in your size.

Thanks all. SangP...Can I trouble you for a measurement of the skirt width on the Poseidon 3D--measured horizontally, from outer tip to outer tip (in inches if possible, please)? Many thanks.

I'd love to try the Cressi Lince, but it's hard to find in the US. Scubastore has it, but shipping to the US costs as much as the mask itself.

As I recall, ScubaDiving Mag did a review a few years back and determined that masks with skirt width from 4.5" to 5" were for "normal" faces and 4" to 4.5" were generally suitable for small faces (below 4" is generally a child's mask). I recall that the Samurai (Dessault) and the Zeagle Ranger were considered small-face masks. But this review is now dated--so many new masks have hit the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom