TN. Cave Diving [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : TN. Cave Diving

Sponsored Link
roguediver
May 14th, 2002, 11:41 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any information on cave diving in the T.A.G area. Tennessee, Alabama, Georga area. I would love to dive these caves.

Okiecaver
May 14th, 2002, 04:56 PM
If you get the chance, after you certify, join the NSS and hook up with local cavers.

Most of them will be drycavers, but if they know you, they'll call on you and your buds if they find something worth looking into.

T-A-G caves, like those here, tend to be on private property, so being a member of a respected group eases the entry.

Finally, you might join the Cavers message board. www.extendedrange.com

Get good training, do you "time", Join or build a team and go explore!

Dive safe
Brock

roguediver
May 15th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Are there anyone on the board that is from Tennessee and if so are you already a cave diver and if not are you going to become a cave diver. Im looking for someone close to take the course with to cut down on the cost if done by myself it will cost twice the price of two people. I would like to have someone from the TN area to do the course with that way I'll have someone in the area to cave dive with.

Weezle
May 15th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Roguediver,

I live in the Knoxville area. There is a dive shop close by in Maryville, Rhea's Diving who offers a cave class. Alan, the owner says there are divable caves all over this area. They offer the cave class by getting a group together to go to FL to the GUE place. He was saying he is in the process of switching over his technical classes to it...

peace.

roguediver
May 16th, 2002, 02:26 AM
weezle

thanks man I think i have there web site. I also think that the guy who started Rheas scuba lives in florida now and is an instructor for gue David Rhea is his name i think. But thanks for the information.

:sharky:

Weezle
May 16th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Yup, that's him - but I know Alan was talking about caves in this area...

roguediver
May 16th, 2002, 11:57 AM
cool weezle

Thata great after i get my training done i hope i can dive them. Off hand do you know where any of them are. thanks

beachdivequeenbelam
May 26th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Are there anyone on the board that is from Tennessee and if so are you already a cave diver and if not are you going to become a cave diver. Im looking for someone close to take the course with to cut down on the cost if done by myself it will cost twice the price of two people. I would like to have someone from the TN area to do the course with that way I'll have someone in the area to cave dive with.
did you ever find anyone? I want to cave dive but my husband doesn't? so I have no buddy on this one

roguediver
October 23rd, 2004, 05:08 PM
did you ever find anyone? I want to cave dive but my husband doesn't? so I have no buddy on this one

Sorry about takong so long to respond to this, but Uncle Sam thought it would be a good idea to ship me out for a year or so. Im still gone and will not be back home until April 2005 (I hope). I have not found someone to go through the traing with as of yet. Im going to take some time off when I get back and go to FLA to at least take cavern/Intro before I have to go back to work. Still on the look out for a good instructor also. Talk to you guys soon.

Jeff

roguediver
October 23rd, 2004, 05:12 PM
That is kind of funny now that I read your post again. My wife loves to dive but does not wont to cave dive, which is fine with me I dont wont her to do it just because of me. You can never have to many dive buddies right.

Jeff

beachdivequeenbelam
October 25th, 2004, 01:08 AM
I want to become a Cave diver and I live in Nashville, TN
Send me a PM and let me know what the details are?

beachdivequeenbelam
October 25th, 2004, 01:11 AM
That is kind of funny now that I read your post again. My wife loves to dive but does not wont to cave dive, which is fine with me I dont wont her to do it just because of me. You can never have to many dive buddies right.

Jeff
My hubby doesn't want to cave dive either. He loves diving wither. I was in the ARmy for 4 years and I undersatnd being sent off. I was sent to Korea for a year myself as my 1st tour of duty. I'll be here and I am still willing to take the classes with you.Just let me know.

Bridget

Keysdrifter454
October 25th, 2004, 05:17 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any information on cave diving in the T.A.G area. Tennessee, Alabama, Georga area. I would love to dive these caves.

This is the only real diveshop in East Tennessee:

http://www.rheas.mbdc.net/

The can answer all your cave questions, fill all your cave diving needs.

Keysdrifter454
October 25th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Roguediver,

I live in the Knoxville area. There is a dive shop close by in Maryville, Rhea's Diving who offers a cave class. Alan, the owner says there are divable caves all over this area. They offer the cave class by getting a group together to go to FL to the GUE place. He was saying he is in the process of switching over his technical classes to it...

peace.

As usual, I should have read the thread first.

I'm a Rhea's regular from Gatlinburg.

Keysdrifter454
October 25th, 2004, 05:21 AM
weezle

thanks man I think i have there web site. I also think that the guy who started Rheas scuba lives in florida now and is an instructor for gue David Rhea is his name i think. But thanks for the information.

:sharky:

Alan Williams is the current owner, David still teached GUE courses through the store.

Keysdrifter454
October 25th, 2004, 05:24 AM
My hubby doesn't want to cave dive either. He loves diving wither. I was in the ARmy for 4 years and I undersatnd being sent off. I was sent to Korea for a year myself as my 1st tour of duty. I'll be here and I am still willing to take the classes with you.Just let me know.

Bridget

Check out Rhea's Diving, and cave classes with David.

He teaches GUE, but last I knew he teaches other agencies as well.

David has the unique advantage of having a residence in cave country, and charges minimal room and board during class.

Makes the whole thing more palatable.

MikeFerrara
October 25th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Forest Willson has a group that's actively involved with cave exploration in that area. He has a board for sump divers too. I don't have the url handy but you'll see it mentioned if you poke arounf on cavediver.net. There are also some trip trports of some of theor dives posted there.

Most of the cave diving in that are is sump diving. That means diving sidemount and you'll be combining dry caving (even rope work) with cave diving. Vis is bad and few do it for the diving. They do it simply to get past the sump and explore the dry cave on the other side.

I doubt you'll find a dive shop any where that will be of much help getting into this and I'm not aware of any cave instructors who teach in those conditions and very few who teach anything remotely related to that type of diving.

Curt Bowen
October 25th, 2004, 10:07 AM
I have done a little cave diving in TN. TN caves are difficult, cold water, bad vis, deep, and those we did required sidemount techniques.

But I would like to go back and look for more.

MikeFerrara
October 25th, 2004, 10:46 AM
I have done a little cave diving in TN. TN caves are difficult, cold water, bad vis, deep, and those we did required sidemount techniques.

But I would like to go back and look for more.

Deep?

I did a little (very little) diving in Kentucky and I think I was runner up for a while for the Kentucky cave diving depth record with an incredible max depth of 12 ft.

however, I'ver since been informed of depths well in excess of 20 ft being reached taking me out of the running. LOL

My wife and I did do one dive where we actually had a little bit of vis...well, we could see each other anyway. Then I touched a rock to tie a line off and we were in the dark. Of course a rock good enough to tie to is rare in itself with doggie stakes being the tie-off of choice. Our max depth on that dive was 9 ft so it was no help in the persuit of a depth record.

MikeFerrara
October 25th, 2004, 10:48 AM
BTW, that last dive was pretty easy...

Once we got our gear down the mountain, accross the lake and up the other mountain using ropes. LOL

Curt Bowen
October 25th, 2004, 02:48 PM
BTW, that last dive was pretty easy...

Once we got our gear down the mountain, accross the lake and up the other mountain using ropes. LOL

You must have gotten lucky. Our cave was a small sidemount crawl through a stream bed then into a pit to a one cylinder off / sidemount squeeze at 135 feet and into a water solution tube and 4 foot of vis. we ended the dive at 170 feet with passage still going. Pentration only around 600 feet.

I can give you the gps coordinates and a little map of the system if you want to go lay more line at the end. :-) Hint: take some good helium mix and some WARM drysuit undergarment.

crawford
October 25th, 2004, 03:41 PM
You must have gotten lucky. Our cave was a small sidemount crawl through a stream bed then into a pit to a one cylinder off / sidemount squeeze at 135 feet and into a water solution tube and 4 foot of vis. we ended the dive at 170 feet with passage still going. Pentration only around 600 feet.

I can give you the gps coordinates and a little map of the system if you want to go lay more line at the end. :-) Hint: take some good helium mix and some WARM drysuit undergarment.

You guys have fun with that ;)

roguediver
October 25th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Thanks Guys

I have a long traing road ahead of me before I will do any exploration in the Tennessee area caves. I have been in caves all over the state (dry). Thank you for the information. Mr. Bowens, I just wonted to let you know that I just read again and article from ADM that you were in Exploration BEYOND THE SUMP...? and I liked it alot. That area around Murfressbourgh is loaded with caves. Once again thank you for all the information.

Jeff

beachdivequeenbelam
October 25th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks Guys

I have a long traing road ahead of me before I will do any exploration in the Tennessee area caves. I have been in caves all over the state (dry). Thank you for the information. Mr. Bowens, I just wonted to let you know that I just read again and article from ADM that you were in Exploration BEYOND THE SUMP...? and I liked it alot. That area around Murfressbourgh is loaded with caves. Once again thank you for all the information.

JeffI have been too. All my life I have rappelled, rock climbing and in caves. There are a lot of caves in East TN too. My family lives there and I grew up part of my life.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1