retaining a DIR knife ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loquat149

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I made one of those Betty Crocker DIR knives like the one George uses (or used?), although mine is Publix-branded. Actually, this is my 2nd knife as I lost the first one. I'd appreciate recommendations on how to keep from losing this thing, especially on small boat dives where you have to take off your gear and hand it to someone on-board. Once I unbuckle the waist/crotch strap on my hog-rig there's nothing left to hold the knife on.

Interestingly, Dive-Rite has recently announced they're selling a US$15.00 DIR knife that's Betty-approved. I paid $14.00 for my sewing kit, $4.00 for webbing, and $2.50 for each of 3 steak knives and have had more than $15.00 worth of fun making my own...

BTW, I say George "used?" because someone at one of the other technical diving certification agencies told me George doesn't dive anymore...is there any truth to this?

Dave

Welcome to the DIR club! I dunno if George dives but I've heard the same thing...

The knife sheath is on the left waist band and will not fall off due to the belt buckle also being on this band. Also George still dives.

Hey Dave,

Do you mean the sheath falls off the belt or the knife fell out of the sheath? As salty said, if the buckle is in the right place the sheath is secure. I made my sheath so that the knife fits rather snugly inside of it. If yours is loose, you might consider taking some heavy thread and sewing the opening shut just a little bit for about 1/4" - that should hold it in more securely... btw - I have the Ginsu version (not quite DIR, but it was already in the drawer)

Hey that's not an approved "Betty Crocker" knife either... I feel much better about my "ginsu" now :wink:

mweitz:
You can take a piece of shock cord and tie it in a loop to hold the knife itself in:

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/equipment/waiststrapheight

Mark

Yup, that's the best approach I've found so far ... except I use surgical tubing. Also, I leave the knot on the outside ... it makes it easier to release the knife when I need it, especially wearing gloves.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm glad I didn't invest lots of money into my knife. I was gearing up the other day and noticed that my knife and my wife's were nowhere to be found. The only thing I can figure is that Homeland security confiscated them on our recent return trip from Florida. They left a flier inside our divebags. Isn't that completely rediculous if they're in checked luggage? Has anyone else had this happen? They made it to Fl with no problem.

Schwim:
I'm glad I didn't invest lots of money into my knife. I was gearing up the other day and noticed that my knife and my wife's were nowhere to be found. The only thing I can figure is that Homeland security confiscated them on our recent return trip from Florida. They left a flier inside our divebags. Isn't that completely rediculous if they're in checked luggage? Has anyone else had this happen? They made it to Fl with no problem.

Interesting ... both of our rigs made it to Roatan and back with the knives intact.

Unfortunately, on the return trip the kind folks at TSA decided to "protect" my backplate by wrapping the wing around it and repacking it edgewise. So every time a piece of luggage got tossed on top of my gear bag, the wing got ground into the edge of the backplate. Needless to say, it doesn't hold air very well with a bunch of holes in it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Interesting ... both of our rigs made it to Roatan and back with the knives intact.

Unfortunately, on the return trip the kind folks at TSA decided to "protect" my backplate by wrapping the wing around it and repacking it edgewise. So every time a piece of luggage got tossed on top of my gear bag, the wing got ground into the edge of the backplate. Needless to say, it doesn't hold air very well with a bunch of holes in it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You mean all those bubbles I see escaping from the side of my wing are a "bad" thing??? uh oh... j/k

sorry to hear about your "packing service" from TSA...

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom