Night dive at OGB last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Gary and I went for an after work night dive at Old Garden Beach in Rockport last night, and caught the high tide at the perfect time for exploring the rock reef on the left.

Yeah... I know, it's posted no night diving. We're scofflaws, and possibly bad people. The locals were very friendly though, and a couple that was walking by seemed genuinely interested and asked us several good questions then thanked us for our time.

Anyhow, the vis was okay, the temps were cool, and the depth were shallow, but we saw a bunch of interesting stuff...

• Very young juvinile fish of the eel-like body type. My first though was pout, but I now believe they were young rock gunnels or shanny. Probably an inch long, and irridescent.
  • Lots of thumb-sized shrimp trying to hide in the sand. Are they edible? We could have filled a bag.
  • A few flounder, skates, crabs, etc, as expected.
  • The lobsters are coming back... I saw about 4 shorts.
  • Lots of bioluminescent photoplankton. With lights turned out, every movement left sparkling trails behind it.
  • Several haddock guarding clutches of young fry in depressions near the rocks.
  • The highlight of the dive for me... a yellow spiny lumpsucker who had attached himself to a large piece of seaweed. It was only the second I've noticed, and it was pretty well camoflagued... it took Gary a minute to see what I was pointing out, even with a light shining directly on it.

What temps did you have?

Were these shrimp gray - almost clear in color? I saw similarly sized shrimp in Salem Harbor and wondered if they were the eating kind. I have never seen shrimp while diving around here. I would love to be able to come home with some shrimp to go with the lobster!

--Matt

I was going minimalist with my gear, and didn't have a temp gauge I trust, but I'd say low 40s.

Yes, the shrimp were translucent gray, with dark speckles. I did a quick search, and I think I have a positive ID:

Sand Shrimp
(Crangon septemspinosa)
Sand shrimp are common to Atlantic coast estuaries. They are characterized by their flat body and single pair of claws with a hook like shape. Sand shrimp are transparent pale to ash gray with brown or black spots. They burrow into the sand during the day and feed at night on benthic invertebrates, organic detritus and larval fish. They grow up to 2.8" (7cm) long.

That sounds like our critter, and explains why I never saw any during the day.

From the Gorton's fish web site:
There are thousands of varieties of shrimp. They can be divided into four major categories: Warm Water (Tropical), Cold Water, Freshwater, and Sand Shrimp. The good news is that most of these shrimp vary little in taste.

I think I need a tighter mesh bag (and some cocktail sauce) for the next night dive! :)

I don't see any regulation related to catching sand shrimp recreationally... I don't think it ever occurred to anyone at the state level, and it probably isn't a managed fishery.

The only thing I saw that seemed relevant was that no special permit is required for the use of a net of no more than 200 square feet for the sole purpose of catching bait fish for personal use. If you want to argue that sand shrimp are bait, you could take a hell of a lot of them with a small "net" or catch bag.

If its in Mass., then it is probably regulated somewhere.

It will be in the DEP book if its regulated I think

Back
Top Bottom