More certs required for Quebec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I recently heard that there is some sort of additional certification or permit required to dive in Quebec.

There's supposed to be something about it here: http://www.fqas.qc.ca/ although I'm pretty much lost, since the site is in french.

There's an "english" button, but all it contains is more french (they must still be laughing about all those non-french-speaking americans)

Neither my LDS or SSI (my cert agency) has heard anything about it.

Does anybody know anything about this? Is it real? Does this mean if I want to dive on the Canadian side of the river, I need to fill out more papers?

Thanks!

Terry

PS. I apologise for all the recent typos and edits. I was slicing some garlic the other day with a very sharp knife, looked away for a second, and took a beautiful 1/8" slice right off the end of my finger, including a lot of the nail and a slice of the skin it was attached to.

Right now I'm typing with a big fat bandage on my finger, which gives new meaning to the phrase "fat fingered" typing. :cool:

Web Monkey:
I recently heard that there is some sort of additional certification or permit required to dive in Quebec.

<SNIP>

Hi Terry,
I made a search on the plongeeqc on the topic of tourists. It appears that visiting divers going to Québec will have to get a temporary permit. It appears that you should be able to get one at most dive shops and with most charter operators, but I couldn't get any infos on how much it'll cost.

I also checked the FQAS website. First, all infos on the regulation is in French; second, it covers the regulation in its application to local divers, but there was nothing about tourists.

It might be best to contact a dive shop or a charter operator in the area where you want to dive. As well, you can also five in Ontario or in the Maritime Provinces. :wink:

---
André in Fredericton

To dive in Québec, if you are a tourist you must get a '' Permis Provisoire''. 5,75$. and it's good for 30 days. In order to get the cert you must be able to prove with your dive log that you have made a minimum of 10 dives (cold water dives) in the last 3 years. You also have to show your C-Card. If you have any questions you can call the FQAS at 1-866-391-8835. And dont be afraid... The speak english...

Salutations!

Web Monkey:
There's supposed to be something about it here: http://www.fqas.qc.ca/ although I'm pretty much lost, since the site is in french.

There's an "english" button, but all it contains is more french (they must still be laughing about all those non-french-speaking americans)

I had the same problem with the "English" button; I ended up just sending a inquiry to the 'contact' email address, in very bad French. No repliquez so far!

I,m a mandataire for the FQAS ie i am authorised to give out permits for them. If you have any specific questions you can pm me or email: jnroy@plongeecalypso.ca.

Basically Quebec government requires a second permit to dive in quebec . The permit can only be delivered by a certified FQAS instructor (mandataire). and can be obtained by taking a coyurse or refresher with certified instructor. Cost of permit is 17.25 for three years and is renewable upon proof (logbook) of more than ten dives in the equivalent of quebec waters (ie carribean dont count) in three years.

For toursts the've created a temporary permit good for three months at the cost of 5.25$. Can be delivered by agents of FQAS mandataire. Need proof of logged dives in similar waters to Quebec(cold low vis etc..).

Hope that answers more questions !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom