Old Garden Beach sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mello-yellow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I plan to go to Old Garden Beach tomorrow, and it's been a while since I was there last. I vaguely remember a long low wall at the right, and nothing at the left. Can someone remind me what course I have to take to hit the reefs (or anything interesting)?

Thank you

Personally, I love the left at OGB. Hug the rocks in the shallow water, and you'll shortly find yourself in a thriving rock reef that slopes down to 30'+. That's where Gary and I did our night dive I reported yesterday. Of course, rumors persist that there is a sewage outflow on that side, that there's nothing to see there, and that the lobstering is crappy. I recommend believing all of that, and also that you beware the Loch Ness Monster. During the summer, I would advise keeping an eye out for active fishing gear though... those rocks are popular with both striped bass and the people who fish for them. I've had to deal with several monofiliment entanglements on that side, one of which still had a VERY sharp hook attached. Apparently, I was the one that got away.

If you head straight out, or slightly to the left, you'll see a lot of sand before getting to anything interesting. To the right, there are boulder fields with some very large rocks and depths to 40+.

Also, if you head out straight on a 30 degree heading, you'll end up reaching 50'. Drag your flag with you, though, because there are *lots* of boats out in that area. I usually dive the doubles when I go out there because 1) it's a decent swim and 2) I don't want to have to come up under any circumstances.

That's where Gary and I did our night dive I reported yesterday.

Of course, rumors persist that there is a sewage outflow on that side

I dont recall having a $hitty dive :11:

gmbaker:
I dont recall having a $hitty dive :11:
I've been told that by several folks who may have been trying to dissuade me from going that way (lobster hogs). I checked the charts, and the outflow isn't where they said.

MSilvia:
I've been told that by several folks who may have been trying to dissuade me from going that way (lobster hogs). I checked the charts, and the outflow isn't where they said.

The sewer outlet is definately on the left side, do not go over there. Oh and please ignore that man behind the curtain. If it must be known if you find rocks you find lobsters, if you find big rocks well you find big lobsters. I saw a few big rocks over that area, oh and one big Torpedo Ray just hanging in the sand way left after the rocks. This is a great dive no matter which side you go on or straight out. Boat traffic will pick up soon and there are definately quite a few Bass hanging at OGB so stay close to your flag (it makes it easier for the boats to aim at you).

Also, don’t forget about the evil mutant nazi attack squirrel of death that guards the shore entrance. A whole pack of ‘em.

Actually, I’ve been there this morning with Ilya, and man was it cold. 43 degrees and I was in a flimsy wetsuit. I like that place but I decided that swim to the reef is so long, it’s not really worth it. So I don’t think I’ll be going to that place again. Saw a few keepers, but they were too holed up. Was mostly testing new equipment.

Chebby:
Also, don’t forget about the evil mutant nazi attack squirrel of death that guards the shore entrance. A whole pack of ‘em.

Actually, I’ve been there this morning with Ilya, and man was it cold. 43 degrees and I was in a flimsy wetsuit. I like that place but I decided that swim to the reef is so long, it’s not really worth it. So I don’t think I’ll be going to that place again. Saw a few keepers, but they were too holed up. Was mostly testing new equipment.

I can't do it with less than the mid 50's for temp. You are a much better man than me getting in that water at 43. I just don't look good in Blue especially when it's my hands and feet.

Hey do you think those nazi-squirrels are at Stage Fort Park? I swear they attacked me last year in that little cove...

Chebby:
Ah, so THAT's what they were! Why didn't you tell me?
For those who don't know, Ilya is my real name. 43 F at 30 feet is at the limits of my tolerance -- after about 15 minutes at that depth my fingers went numb and I turned back. Note that there is a big difference between 30' and 20' -- I was okay up to 20' depth. Beyond that, neoprene compression... brrr...

And yes, we found the left-side reef MSilivia described. Great place (when a little warmer!), but it IS a long swim. I am sure will visit it again, but with careful considerations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom