Ever heard of theft off dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alaity47

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been wondering this for a while - has anyone ever had scuba or camera gear stolen off a dive boat while in harbor overnight?

We usually board boats the night before so we don't have to get up early, and it seems like everyone's pretty comfortable (this includes us) setting up their gear on deck, and leaving it out there all night long. We often leave the camera rig in the galley, as well. It seems like anyone could just walk onto a dive boat at 3am and grab whatever they wanted - but I've never heard of this happening. Anyone?

Maybe not specificially a SoCal question, but this is where we do 95% of our dives, so... :)

alaity47:
...it seems like everyone's pretty comfortable (this includes us) setting up their gear on deck, and leaving it out there all night long. We often leave the camera rig in the galley, as well. It seems like anyone could just walk onto a dive boat at 3am and grab whatever they wanted - but I've never heard of this happening. Anyone?

Didn't a homeless guy recently just walk onto a dive boat in SoCal and commandeer (nautical term) the entire boat? Does that help with your question too, about camera gear?

If it is not under your pillow, then it is not safe while you sleep. :)

triton94949:
Didn't a homeless guy recently just walk onto a dive boat in SoCal and commandeer (nautical term) the entire boat? Does that help with your question too, about camera gear?

If it is not under your pillow, then it is not safe while you sleep. :)

Poor Conception. :(

I don't believe he actually got anyone's dive gear, though... (unless some of the crew permanently stash their things on board!)

yes but stealing a boat is quite the feat... especially since they didnt find out it was stolen until almost 24 hours later... and if I remember correctly, the only way they found it was it crashed into another boat.... DOH!!!

Guess darwin was on vacation that day.... :wink:

alaity47:
I've been wondering this for a while - has anyone ever had scuba or camera gear stolen off a dive boat while in harbor overnight?

We usually board boats the night before so we don't have to get up early, and it seems like everyone's pretty comfortable (this includes us) setting up their gear on deck, and leaving it out there all night long. We often leave the camera rig in the galley, as well. It seems like anyone could just walk onto a dive boat at 3am and grab whatever they wanted - but I've never heard of this happening. Anyone?

Maybe not specificially a SoCal question, but this is where we do 95% of our dives, so... :)

The only SoCal dive boat I ever board the night before is the Peace - as I'm in LA and they're in Ventura. When I do, I set up my gear, but always pull my light head (18W HID) and batt and toss it at the foot of the bunk. Its just too easy to reach over the rail and swipe it.

Apart from that cautionary move, I have no issues strapping my stuff in and leaving it out over night. Many years, never an incident.

---
Ken

alaity47:
Poor Conception. :(

I don't believe he actually got anyone's dive gear, though... (unless some of the crew permanently stash their things on board!)

but he still took A1 sauce and mustard.

I have never had anyone in a group that complained of having something stolen while on the boat. However, every time I take a group on a boat trip I have to "Police up" all the abandoned dive gear at the end of the trip. This is also true of springs diving. Every trip I find masks, cameras, towels, clothing, regulators, wetsuits, leftover drinks, beer and food. All kinds of stuff that folks just walk off without. I usually donate consumable items to the boat crew and take the other stuff back to the shop for the "Left on boat" box.

Of course, these trips are normally filled boats with our groups. So on an open boat I have no notion.

Stryker:
yes but stealing a boat is quite the feat... especially since they didnt find out it was stolen until almost 24 hours later... and if I remember correctly, the only way they found it was it crashed into another boat.... DOH!!!

Guess darwin was on vacation that day.... :wink:

Yes, you really must admire the guy. To pull off something like that, he has all the makings of a great pirate. Pity that the Navy cant find a spot for him somewhere in special warfare ops and give him a regular paycheck. :)

Back
Top Bottom