Here Lobster Lobster Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaNorth

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is willing to share their experience on when the Keepers hit the shores in quantity. I noticed last year that as the summer arrived the Lobsters seemed to thin out in the area I dove.

Last year I did fairly well in my spot until the pots started showing up and then they dropped off significantly. I started finding decent numbers of bugs around the end of May last year but every year is different.

Typically I find that the lobsters tend to start showing up when the water warms up into the 50s which can be as early as mid-June depending on our weather and the Gulf Stream. Last year the water had a hard time warming up and I didn't see anyone do anything spectacular. But if your doing a lot of shore diving many times that spot has been hunted over and over again by divers and lobstermen as well so pickings can be slim. Hopefully this year will be different, good luck.

I also found that as the temps warmed into july the (shore) lobstering got a little better. It's generally accepted that during the winter the bugs head to deeper water and hunker down till they feel the water begin to warm, then they go on the move hunting for leftovers. perhaps teh reason why you did not see many lobsters in late May early June is that (it's my understanding) lobster moult (sp) during that period. They try to find a good safe hidding spot (since they are VERY suseptable to preditors) for the few weeks that it takes their shell to grow back.

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom