San Diego CA..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caribbean soul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be down in San Diego in mid June on business, and might try to sneak in a dive.
Any recommendations on where to dive and with what dive operation.

Either a dive boat out of San Diego, or some beach diving in La Jolla (a bit north of San Diego). La Jolla offers some great kelp diving out of La Jolla Cove, and La Jolla Shores offers a very easy entry and access to the canyon. Try this website for detailed info on San Diego county diving:

http://www.divebums.com/main.html

I haven't had the pleasure yet, but I hear San Diego some excellent wreck diving, known as Wreck Alley.

Also, check out this website if you are looking for a dive boat anywhere from Santa Cruz to San Diego:

http://californiadiveboats.com/

Hope you get a chance to dive while you are here.

Hi! I've only dove La Jolla Canyon a couple of times, but interesting dives. I would recommend night diving there.

Boat diving: If you can spare some time, check out the Horizon! It is a truly amazing boat to go out on. The crew is marvelous as is, the dryer (for drying that wet towel during your second dive so it is nice and toasty when you get out of the water again), nitrox fills, and the mango smoothies (with the rum added) for the ride home! If you don't have time or if you schedule doesn't mesh, I would also suggest the Lois Ann. This boat is much smaller and doesn't do the overnighters, but fills nitrox and Woody (the captain) is great!

The wrecks are fun. Was there just last week. Saw an awesome jelly (not sure of the id) off the Yukon and then tons of nudibranchs and eggs on the Ruby E. Water was cold (52 suunto degrees). Both wrecks have tons of strawberry anemonies and white mitridium anemonies growing on them. Both wrecks have sheep crabs (eek) and the Ruby E has a resident Lingcod.

If you can get on the Horizon going out to San Clemente Island, you won't be disappointed!

You can also try www.gottadive.com
The boat isn't as "luxurious" as the Ann. I love the crew on the Ann, but Dive Connections has more than one boat so you odds of finding what works with your schedule are better.

Me and my compatriots also dive the La Jolla sites nearly daily so if our dive styles and profiles are compatible, you can always dive with us.

Terry

I just signed up with Dive Connections to do two wrecks (Yukon and Ruby) and one kelp dive on Friday, June 24th. I dive the Channel Islands frequently, but I've never dove out of San Diego before.

I'm expecting it to be cold, but does anybody have any tips regarding the wreck dives (e.g. cool critters to look for, potential hazards, etc.)

Advice...?

Just the usual as far as hazards. Don't penetrate if you aren't equipt and trained to. The Yukon is covered in large Metridiums. Look close and you will see nudibranches of many varieties. Mostly she is just a big friggin boat. She will be spectacular in another 10 years. I can't wait.

The Ruby has been down much longer and is covered in strawberry anenomes ala rose bowl float. Again, tons of macro here as well as schooling fish. Look for torpedo rays in the sand.

The kelp is the kelp. If you dive the NCI often, you know what it's about.

Have a great dive. If I wasn't working, I would join you.

Terry

divinman:
Advice...?

Just the usual as far as hazards. Don't penetrate if you aren't equipt and trained to. The Yukon is covered in large Metridiums. Look close and you will see nudibranches of many varieties. Mostly she is just a big friggin boat. She will be spectacular in another 10 years. I can't wait.

The Ruby has been down much longer and is covered in strawberry anenomes ala rose bowl float. Again, tons of macro here as well as schooling fish. Look for torpedo rays in the sand.

The kelp is the kelp. If you dive the NCI often, you know what it's about.

Have a great dive. If I wasn't working, I would join you.

Terry

Thanks! I'm looking forward to my trip. The following day, I'm going out on The Great Escape to Santa Barbara Island. So, it's going to be a little mini, So Cal SCUBA trip for me.

EricJ:
Thanks! I'm looking forward to my trip. The following day, I'm going out on The Great Escape to Santa Barbara Island. So, it's going to be a little mini, So Cal SCUBA trip for me.
The Yukon, Ruby E and Santa Barbara Island are going to make for an awesome SoCal mini trip!

Have fun and dive safe!

Christian

Back
Top Bottom