fins for warm-water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I like my Jets ... but as a cold-water diver who takes one or two warm-water trips per year, I really wonder if they're the right fin for tropical diving. They're a bit on the heavy side, and I'm finding it's harder to maintain proper trim in a warm-water rig than I'm used to.

Are there any Jet (or Turtle) fin users out there who use a lighter-duty fin for tropical diving? And if so, what fins do you use and what do you like (or dislike) about them?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Bob (ol' Grateful one),
Although I do not use Jet Fins (would like to try though) I use SP Twin Jets. I first used the full foot and found them to be hard to get in and out of. So I switched to open heal, and they seem work Ok for me. But again with all the talk about Jet Fins I need to try them out so that I might compare.
David

NWGratefulDiver:
I like my Jets ... but as a cold-water diver who takes one or two warm-water trips per year, I really wonder if they're the right fin for tropical diving. They're a bit on the heavy side, and I'm finding it's harder to maintain proper trim in a warm-water rig than I'm used to.

Are there any Jet (or Turtle) fin users out there who use a lighter-duty fin for tropical diving? And if so, what fins do you use and what do you like (or dislike) about them?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I love my oceanic caribs for warm water diving. I also have Jet Fins and Aeris Velocity full-foot fins.

I find them much easier to get in and out of than the jets. They also weigh A LOT less.

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I use snorkle fins when I dive a 1 mil suit or less. Surpisingly they are quite effecient. (oceanic Caribs). Otherwise I use Apollo splits or the original USD Blades. Something to consider are the Cressi Gara fins. They are long blue water fins, but those I see who are dialed in use them effectively. ( I never could ). Be careful with the Garas though. I have seen a lot of people tear up the bottom with them.

Well, I am a warm water diver and jet fin owner. Perhaps a smaller size to accomadate a smaller boot (neoprene) would work just as well.

I dive my Jet fins wherever I go. Warm, cold same fin. Yep a little heavy but so is my backplate. But I like the negative fin. Works well for my trim with my BP/W. I just don't like the "flimsy" feel of the splits and I've not yet tried any other non-splits. I got blown off the line (messing with my camera :) ) diving the Bimini Barge in strong current and my Jets put me right back on no problem. I'd like to see what you find if you try any other fins.

RiverRat:
I dive my Jet fins wherever I go. Warm, cold same fin. Yep a little heavy but so is my backplate. But I like the negative fin. Works well for my trim with my BP/W. I just don't like the "flimsy" feel of the splits and I've not yet tried any other non-splits. I got blown off the line (messing with my camera :) ) diving the Bimini Barge in strong current and my Jets put me right back on no problem. I'd like to see what you find if you try any other fins.

River Rat: if you like more "feel" in your fins the Apollo bio-fin XT [Xtra Torque] was designed for you. The all natural rubber XT has a durometer hardness of 75 and works very well with the scissors kick and frog kick etc. The bio-fin XT is negative in salt water and has very good "push off" or low end torque. You get the benefits of the Natures Wing technology without the no resistance or, as you mention, the "flimsy feel" of the original bio-fin pro models. Split fins work very well. They have Less effort, longer dive times, and are very responsive in all conditions. I like the XT model since I was certified in 1972 by NASDS and started diving with SP jet fins. went to AL BLADES, MARES Avanti's, and many others. I like the "stick shift" feel of the XT's. The original bio-fin pro black has the least resistance and is the most efficent. It is all a matter for individual diver preference.

I use both Jet and SP Twin Jet and assorted "paddle type" open heel fins. The twin jet is ok in wam water as you are pushing less weight around. It is also less exhausting then the paddle fins. The Jet is heavy but it does provide a lot of power when required, especially if the body of the diver is positively bouyant.

They will both do well in warm water and i alternate their use depending on mood and type of diving. I think the best way is to adjust the amount of weight you use and the placement of said weight so that you can get a better trim.

From what i notice when i go diving in the local dive sites, most people that are used to diving in cold water uses a lot of weight when they come to dive in tropical waters. The heaviest i have seen in my diving till now is 30 lbs with others ranging from 16 lbs to 20+ lbs being the norm. In warm tropical water, the normal amount of weight used by "local" divers is around 6 to 12 lbs.

The above reason could be due to the thinner wetsuit/ booties (3 mm), smaller and lighter tanks ( 60/ 80 cft AL or SS Tank) and less cold water equipment.

The above is just my personal opinion for your reference. Hope it helps

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've used Avanti Quattros in the past with great satisfaction.

concerning warm water trim, I have similar difficulties when I wear a 3mm shortie. I put a kg or two on my top tank band and that pretty much took care of the problem.

I am also considering using full length exposure protection in my warm water diving as it is probably a good idea anyway, and that extra neoprene on my legs gives the added float to keep my legs up...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom