Looking for OW class in So Cal. (So Bay area)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is for my son. I've been diving for a while.

My son was signed up for an OW class at Dive N Surf in Redondo Beach. Class was to start this Friday. Today I get a call that the class is canceled. I was informed there is a store policy to cancel OW classes with fewer than six students signed up. Only two were signed up for this class.

So, I'm looking for an OW class that:
(1) is suitable for a 14 year old (11pm on school nights is not good)
(2) starts ASAP
(3) is not likely to be canceled on short notice. and
(4) is reasonably close to Redondo Beach. (14 year olds don't drive, mom or dad has to make two round trips per class session one to drop off one to pick up)

We already have the PADI class materials and chapter reviews completed so PADI is _strongly_ preffered. Also we already own equipment

Please PM or direct e-mail to chrisalbertson90278@yahoo.com

Thanks

P.S. is cancelling OW classes comon?

Sports Chalet in Torrance,

You should plan on staying during the lesson as I believe it is a requirement to have a parent sit in the class but you can check on that.

Many dive shops have a minimum number they need to run a class with out paying for private lessons. Just need a certain number to make that price work. Dive-N-Surf seems to be a pretty good bunch of guys from what I have seen of them.

pasley:
Dive-N-Surf seems to be a pretty good bunch of guys from what I have seen of them.

You are right, I know a lot of the people there both staff and customers

The problem is that they don't have anything that will "work" 'tiil mid summer.

About parents in thier kids classes
I've seen instructors debate this here on scubaboard. Some don't want certified parents anyplace near thier kid's class as they tend to compete with the instructor and
can't refrain from "helping". Others think the other way. My prefference is that he learn on his own, not with me sitting next to him. I'm already (man the Internet moves fast) learning that different shops have different policies on everything. It seems to vary widely

Pacific Wilderness has a policy where if they schedule a class they hold it even if only one student signs up. I asked ask how they can afford it, well thier costs are set up differently and they are looking at future bussines.

I also personally know of one student who is currently taking AOW at Sports Chalet and he is the only student in the class. Don't know SC's policy but in this case they didn't cancel

I can also see why a store might not want to take a loss on OW classes

My dad has run a small bussines for about 50 years now and he is convinced that if ever a customer goes to a competitor even once he might not ever come back. So you never give a customer a reason to go away or he just might and then you loose 20 years of future bussines with him.

SeaDSea is a good solid store with two instructors currently teaching classes. They do lectures at the store classroom, pool sessions at Akai Swim school on Hawthorne (85F water), beach dive check-out at Vet's park, and boat check out on the reggae-casual Mr. C out of 22nd Street in San Pedro. Both instructors, Ron and Theresa, do an excellent job, and I've watched many successful students complete their certification on the Mr. C Trips.
Price is $250 and includes EVERYTHING except your basic mask/fins/snorkle gear (and boots & gloves). All rental gear for all sessions, all air, and the boat trip are included. The owner, Barry, is very helpful with gear and offers price matching with other stores in the area, as well as discounts for all students certifying with the store.
After being out of diving for several year, I did the complete OW class there about 2 years ago, and continue to appreciate the unique, dedicated service this store offers to true hard-core divers. This ain't no surf shop!
I really strongly recommend this great little store. I don't know if there is a minimum sign-up for classes to "go", but Barry, Theresa, or Ron would give you lots of personal attention and make it a great experience. My class consisted of me and two teenage boys...we all had fun and certified with solid skills. I just took a very useful Rescue cert. class with Ron.
I hope you have tons of fun watching your son discover diving!
PM me if you have any specific questions.
Claudette
(Just a working RN with appreciation of good service when I see it)

I highly recommend Sports Chalet....like mentioned before, they conduct classes even there's only one student signed up for it.....and time to time they run half price specialy, my AOW class was $62.50.... Good luck and you are a good dad.
Cheers,
reha

Godly_Diver:
I highly recommend Sports Chalet....like mentioned before, they conduct classes even there's only one student signed up for it.....and time to time they run half price specialy, my AOW class was $62.50.... Good luck and you are a good dad.
Cheers,
reha

I also believe that Sports Chalet still has the diver referral program where if you (as a certified diver) refer a student to Sports Chalet, when they finish the class, YOU get a gift certificate for $75.00. I did this and just gave the GC to the student I referred so he could buy a new tank.

Aerodog:
I also believe that Sports Chalet still has the diver referral program where if you (as a certified diver) refer a student to Sports Chalet, when they finish the class, YOU get a gift certificate for $75.00. I did this and just gave the GC to the student I referred so he could buy a new tank.

How cool....Okay, Chris...let me refer you to SC and I'll let your son use my $75 GC towards anything he needs for his gear....I am sure you'll return the favor to another fellow student diver one day... Let me know if I can help you with this.

Cheers,
reha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom