dive boat/charter groups for beginner - recomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got certified last weekend over in Catalina (Indian Rock, Big Geiger, Torqua Springs) on the Sand Dollar. Already looking to plan my next dive weekend, need some suggestions recomendations on dive boats/charter groups. I've done a search and read some threads, looking for a fresh perspective.

• I have a couple weekends (kid) free in June (3-5, 10-12).
  • Looking for 1 or 2 day.
  • I'll more than likely be traveling solo, so I'll need a buddy.
  • Would be a good idea to travel with students o/b, so the sites are at my level.
  • Have all my own equipment except tank and weights.
  • No boats north of San Pedro as I'll be staying with parents in Anaheim Hills the night prior more than likely, and don't want too long of a drive to board the boat. Being able to crash o/b the night before is a plus.

Any help is appreciated!

Hi shark.byte,

Congratulations on getting certified.

Various newer divers I've known have said they like trips put on by Reef Seekers, the dive shop in Beverly Hills. More experienced divers find some of their policies constraining, but if you're just getting your feet wet (no pun intended) they seem to lay on more TLC than some of the dive ops out there. Their local trip schedule is here (PDF file):

http://www.reefseekers.com/FLYERS/2005%20Boats%20(UD%202-22-05).pdf

Go to http://californiadiveboats.com for a list of all the boats available in your area. You can use this site to check out the specs on each one and decide if you like its description. If you click on the links for each boat, it will take you to that boat's website, where you can see its schedule and who's chartering it for the day.

You'll notice that many of these boats are often chartered by Sport Chalet. Most (but not all) of the time, they'll be running a beginner's course off the boat. That's what you're looking for. Anyone teaching a basic course will want to dive sites with a relatively shallow, sandy bottom area where they can settle their students and put them through all the certification drills. They're not likely to go to a site more advanced than your current comfort level. Call Sport Chalet to confirm that they're running a basic course on whatever day you're interested in going. But even if you don't go on a Sport Chalet charter, a call to whatever dive shop or club has the boat for that day will get you the info you need.

Frank O:
Hi shark.byte,

Congratulations on getting certified.

Various newer divers I've known have said they like trips put on by Reef Seekers, the dive shop in Beverly Hills. More experienced divers find some of their policies constraining, but if you're just getting your feet wet (no pun intended) they seem to lay on more TLC than some of the dive ops out there. Their local trip schedule is here (PDF file):

http://www.reefseekers.com/FLYERS/2005%20Boats%20(UD%202-22-05).pdf

Thanks Frank,

I read that too, and visited their site, the only trip that would fit in my plans is the Olympic/Italian Gardens one on the 11th, I couldn't find any information on the Olympic wreck (Google), and I actually was at Italian Gardens Sunday morning, we were going to do our last checkout dive there, between anchoring and jumping in a strong current picked up and we aborted the dive before descent. So we scooted around Long Point and did two dives at Torqua Springs.

So I'm thinking that trip isn't for me.

A few boats will give you a tank and weights, even if they don't advertise, I would call a few (sundiver, bottom scratcher, great escape, etc.), or go through a dive shop, they will rent them to you or loan them for free.

I have heard many, many horror stories about new divers going solo on boats, getting assigned a buddy (or two!) and being left, brought deep, etc. These are first-hand accounts. Don't get me wrong, a lot of times it works out ok, but often it doesn't.

I would try to find a buddy ahead of time, or see if a dive shop will hook you up with one before the boat leaves, so you can make sure your buddy actually wants a buddy.

Not trying to scare you off from a boat dive, I just want it to be a good experience.

Scott

shark.byte.usa:
Just got certified last weekend over in Catalina (Indian Rock, Big Geiger, Torqua Springs) on the Sand Dollar. Already looking to plan my next dive weekend, need some suggestions recomendations on dive boats/charter groups. I've done a search and read some threads, looking for a fresh perspective.

• I have a couple weekends (kid) free in June (3-5, 10-12).
  • Looking for 1 or 2 day.
  • I'll more than likely be traveling solo, so I'll need a buddy.
  • Would be a good idea to travel with students o/b, so the sites are at my level.
  • Have all my own equipment except tank and weights.
  • No boats north of San Pedro as I'll be staying with parents in Anaheim Hills the night prior more than likely, and don't want too long of a drive to board the boat. Being able to crash o/b the night before is a plus.

Any help is appreciated!

Ummm, Why a boat?

Laguna Beach, Redondo and Palos Verde all have of great dive sites and for the cost of a rented tank and some air fills (Laguna Sea Sports is right there in Laguna) you can dive all day both days.

June 4th and 11th I am making one of my rare boat dives so I can't go on Saturday but I can dive on other days. Others here will help yoiu out wiht some dives I am sure.

well if you are willing to drive for a bit there are some pretty good dive charters runing out of the west plam area like dive solutions i have dove with them like 2 or 3 times and they run a pretty good boat.

pasley:
Ummm, Why a boat?
Valid question, for a couple reasons, primarily because I haven't done any shore diving, I would hate to ask anybody, especially a stranger, to be a buddy without a couple shore dives under my belt. I don't want anybody to have to "hold my hand", and I want to be a competant buddy. I plan on going on some shore dives with my LDS (DM"s and Instructors) in July to practice the basics. Secondly, if I'm going to make a 12-13 hr. drive (round trip) for the sole purpose of diving, I'd like to jump on a boat for at least a day to go check out the islands.

pasley:
Laguna Beach, Redondo and Palos Verde all have of great dive sites and for the cost of a rented tank and some air fills (Laguna Sea Sports is right there in Laguna) you can dive all day both days.
So I've read. I grew up on the OC beaches, Corona Del Mar, Laguna, etc. and lived on the border of San Pedro and Rancho Palos Verdes for a couple years before I moved to the desert. I can't wait to explore their uw offerings.

Most of my diving will be shore diving at the great sites SoCal has to offer, I make frequent trips there, so the parents can visit with the grandchildren and wanted something I could do to make the trip worthwhile for me. Just took me a few yrs to think about it at the opportune time. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom