Suggestions wanted!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrySuitDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles, where the debris meets the sea
I have done the vacation dive thing in Fiji at Turtle Island which is in the Yasawa island group. Turtle island is where they filmed the Blue Lagoon (aka the screw lagoon, lol).

What I liked about this was it was authentic south pacific huts called bures. Diving was right out in front of the bures, or one could go to the end of the dock and the dive boat would take you to the better spots. The beaches were not inhabited by tourists so we all layed out nude...it was an idyllic setting. Dinner was either a privately reserved section of the island, or one could have dinner communally with the other guests which was fun.

I see these dive resorts and they look like condo's or hotels. The idea of staying at a hotel built like a big condo and having to arrange for diving with some outfitter just is not my cup of tea. It is like Cabo San Lucas, where you are treated like a piece of crap tourist and thrown in a big cattle hotel.

I am looking for suggestions on where to go where the diving is through the resort, there are individual beach bungalos maybe with their own porches, in an area that is secluded from tourists and one can easily find their own area to lay out without tourists gawking.

I saw something about Lighthouse Reef on Turneffe Island and it looks remote with quaint bungalos, but I don't want to have anything to do with the idea of no-see-ums biting me (Roatan?)....I can't believe someone would spend thousands to go to a place where insects would infest your flesh and eat you.....

The Carribean looks a bit less expensive, but I hear the South Pacific is better diving.

For the record, pelagics, wrecks and seeing Mister Big doesn't interest me as much as seeing little critters like shrimp, sponges, gorgonians, little teeny fish, and every type of interesting little coral animals imaginable-all the things I used to have to pay money for to put in my salt water reef tank I want to be able to see natively.

Ideas?

We went to the Blue Marlin last year, it's on Southwater Caye in Southern Belize. You can only get there by boat, no touristas, no cars and great slow drift wall dives on a brrier reef. Much, much cheaper than the South Pacific. Here's a trip report.

Belize Trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom