Don't get an all clear mask!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kent_1848

Reaction score
Tip: When you lose, or purposely take off, a clear mask in training, or in OW, you can't find it when you go back down if you don't have a mask on. I did some gear removal and retrievals last night, and it was by shear luck that I found my mask.

Try doing it in the dark - doesnt matter what colour it is then :wink:

Actually the only thing that bugs me about all-clear masks is just like an all-clear set of sunglasses i had - the light would refract through the plastic of the sunglasses and end up blinding me from certain angle - those sunnies only last a short time before i went back to black frames.

simbrooks:
Actually the only thing that bugs me about all-clear masks is just like an all-clear set of sunglasses i had - the light would refract through the plastic of the sunglasses and end up blinding me from certain angle - those sunnies only last a short time before i went back to black frames.

Same here. It only took one shallow dive on a sunny day for me to go back to a dark skirt on the mask. Squinting while diving is problematic, especially since it caused the mask to leak around the corners of my eyes.

I also tried one of those masks with "side windows" once, but didn't like the reflections of what was behind me. It was disconcerting looking down into the water and watching seagulls fly by on a surface swim.

nothing like looking for a mask blind and keep finding sea urchins .. and having a buddy that cant help you look for it because hes laughing to hard....

If you haven't taken the mask back yet, try a neoprene mask strap from your favorite LDS. With four masks, it helps ours get back into the right bags after a dive.

Sounds like the reason I carry a small, frameless mask in my emergency equipment pouch. Pull it out....put it on...find the other mask...continue the dive.

I have an all clear mask, but I just put a colored strap on it.

OK, so I'm wrong, all clear masks are fine, I should have left my blue snorkel on, or maybe I will just get a mask strap. Thanks for helping me out.

Back
Top Bottom