Looking for a Lobsta to help me out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I am a new diver...and also a college student. What do those two words combined spell to you?
C-H-E-A-P

So, I have manage to find some equipment on the cheap...but have no idea if i am going to be getting a good deal. I am looking for someone in the Somerville area to help a brotha out and come along when I check this stuff out and tell me how crappy/good/worth my money it actually is.

I could buy you some lunch at the local greasy spoon for your time. Would get you a free meal, and me a chance to talk more diving with someone in the know in person.

Anyone interested?

--Lord1234

Your profiles reads that you are not yet certified. Your instructor may be willing to help you look at gear. Some may say "no good" due to the desire to have you buy at the sponsor dive shop. Not all of course but some would be inclined to push you to the shop for new gear. Dive gear can last a long time if properly cared for.

--Matt

exactly...i highly doubt that any store is going to steer me towards "used" gear as opposed to buying brand new from them....Why would they when they can make a ton of cash?

I'd recommend getting the make, model, brand, age, use etc. of the gear then post on this site or the gear forum for feedback. Also searching the gear forum will help you out a lot. The type of diving youa re planning will greatly impact your setup and need. So it might be useful to post that as well.

See if the person selling the gear will let you take it to a local dive shop for inspection or go with you to the shop for the once over. If they don't there's something fishy so F'em

for my first set of setup I purchased former rental gear. it was reasonably priced and I knew the dive shop would stand behind (fix or replace) anything that wasn't functioning correctly. I'd suggest you do somehting like that. Call some local shops and ask about former rental sales. They usually turn over their inventory of rentil gear every two years or so.

good luck!!

I dont always agree, most dive shops make their bread and butter on "services" not necessarily new gear purchases Believe diving is almost as bad a owning a boat. As the saying goes about owning a boat," a whole in teh water to throw your money in", add diving and you might as well jump in that whole after your money just to watch it sink.

After your first dive you'll be in your local dive shop asking about different gear configurations, maybe it's a wrist slate, new flag and float, catch bag, extra fin straps, etc.

Your local dive shop will do fine whether you buy new gear or used gear. If the gear you purchase is used the first thing you'll need to do is get the BCD and Regulator serviced that's a good 50 bucks...and a 50 well spent for safety sake, well if you're not a fan of drowning anyway.

I can understand the LDS stands to make some "cake" if you buy new from them, but they stand to make much, much more dough if you are a happy safe diver who is a lifetime customer and encourage others to experience the joys of diving. Seeing that you are a college student I'd say you are around 22 years young. If you dive till you are 42, that a lot of air fills!! And I'd expect your income to change dramatically in those 20 years and the new equipment purchases will follow!!

cheers

Might want to take a drive out the pgdive. Paul is a regular contributor to this forum. Or perhaps you could private message him and he'll help you out I am sure. I have heard nothing but great things about their shop, so I trust he'll give you solid advice on equipment choices (where it's new, used or whatever).

good luck!!

I hear you on the cheap part, I'm a pretty cheap Mo-Fo myself!! ;0)

Hi lord1234

If you want to PM me or post a description or pictures, I can give you an idea of the equipments worth. Or if you can bring the stuff into the shop, I could probably be more accurate. Just let me know when you are comming by so I can make sure I'm there.

Paul

Buying dive gear from someone you don't know? You really need this checked out by a pro. Someone willing to sell gear to an uncertified person would warrant a good hard look. Not to imply that they are not upstanding citizens just be careful.

Many dive shops sell used (rental) equipment during certain times of the year. Stick with the name brands and you should do well. Read everything scuba, and educate yourself on what’s available. Is it serviceable, upgradeable, compatible with the rest of your equipment, recalls ? ect…….

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom