New Fins :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTwo

Reaction score
I am waiting for my new Jet Fins to arrive Unfortunatley I did not get a chance to try them out first I currently use Avanti Quattros. Can you give me any advice/tips on how finning will be different? Any advice is much appreciated, Thanks :)

ScubaTwo:
I am waiting for my new Jet Fins to arrive Unfortunatley I did not get a chance to try them out first I currently use Avanti Quattros. Can you give me any advice/tips on how finning will be different? Any advice is much appreciated, Thanks :)

Are they the standard Jets or the splits? I've never used the splits, but I had a pair of regular Jets. Couldn't wait to dump them on Ebay. Great maneuverability, but lacking in speed and heavy on the feet. I'm sure they're great for tech or cave diving, but I wasn't happy using them in open water. I went to Quattros and have never looked back. It's like having the best of both worlds. Quattros rule. That's just my opinion, and hey, I could be wrong :wink:

Firefyter:
Are they the standard Jets or the splits? I've never used the splits, but I had a pair of regular Jets. Couldn't wait to dump them on Ebay. Great maneuverability, but lacking in speed and heavy on the feet. I'm sure they're great for tech or cave diving, but I wasn't happy using them in open water. I went to Quattros and have never looked back. It's like having the best of both worlds. Quattros rule. That's just my opinion, and hey, I could be wrong :wink:

They are the standard Jets w/ spring straps. Im not looking for speed so much. Im kinda pokey that way :) I also would like any extra weight on my feet as I have very floaty feet. But mostly I wanted a fin that was easy to mosey along, look around, back up and stuff. Im not sure on how diff it will be or how I need to do things diff if at all. Your not wrong if it works for you :)

I've only owned Jets since I started diving 2 years ago. I tried splits in a pool. I'll stick with Jets or possibly another stiff fin someday. For what you want to do the Jets are the best choice. I too prefer the negative fin. So far I've been to Cayman, Bimini, N. Carolina wrecks, RI shore dives, etc. Works for me in all environments. Great in strong current. I'm still new at frog kicks and backing up but from what I understand there is no better fin for these types of maneuvers. I think some people have problems with them because they have weak legs or they just like to flutter kick so they get tired and get cramps.

RiverRat:
I've only owned Jets since I started diving 2 years ago. I tried splits in a pool. I'll stick with Jets or possibly another stiff fin someday. For what you want to do the Jets are the best choice. I too prefer the negative fin. So far I've been to Cayman, Bimini, N. Carolina wrecks, RI shore dives, etc. Works for me in all environments. Great in strong current. I'm still new at frog kicks and backing up but from what I understand there is no better fin for these types of maneuvers. I think some people have problems with them because they have weak legs or they just like to flutter kick so they get tired and get cramps.

RiverRat...I too am new to the different kicks. Another person on this board sent me this sight..Im sure they wouldnt mind my passing it on..http://www.divetekadventures.com/Images.htm
Scroll down to find frog kick and backing up. It has been a great help to me. :)

Hey cool link! Thanks! That guy just seems to be barely "flicking" his fins and coasting right along!

ScubaTwo:

You will have significantly more propulsion. They require more work on each kick, but you will need fewer kicks. This is particularly noticeable in a current. Frog kicks are useless with Quattros and actually work with jet fins.

RTodd:
You will have significantly more propulsion. They require more work on each kick, but you will need fewer kicks. This is particularly noticeable in a current. Frog kicks are useless with Quattros and actually work with jet fins.

Thanks for the input, Im very excited for them to arrive :) I did get to try them on, just didnt get any in water use with them. I found the part by my arch a bit stiff but I have a very high arch. I will keep my other fins to use while Im breakinging them in and if my feet get sore :)

ScubaTwo:

I've had similar questions after using Quattros for 9 years, and recently borrowed a friends Jets to try in the pool. I'm about to take DIR-F so I wanted to see if there was a real difference.

I tried the helicopter turns and the frog and backwards kicks with both fins. Since I have had no instruction yet on some of the kicks, but just worked it out by experimentation, I'm sure I wasn't perfect on the kicks. But to be honest, I didn't see a significant difference in the fins. I kept switching back and forth, but really didn't notice anything for the most part.

The one small difference I did notice was that the jets were slightly easier to maneuver without kicking something. The tips of the quattros every now and then would hit the side of the pool on a turn, while it was less likely with the jets. The jets are a bit shorter, so that makes sense.

Other than that, I didn't find it easier to do any of the kicks with one or the other.

This coming weekend I will have my DIR-F dives and will get proper instruction on what I am doing wrong with the kicks. I find the backwards kick especially hard. I can move backwards, but not by doing what I see in the videos, so I'm sure something is wrong. :wink:

Anyway, I'm thinking of taking both sets of fins to the class to see what difference I can notice. We'll see...

Radinator,
Would appreciate it greatly if you post your personal findings after you try them both out. Good luck with your class :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom