NASTY COTs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolov

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
dive report :

I did a training dive just off Ligpo island, Balayan Bay Batangas,

after the training dive, we went for some fun dive. we headed to pinaccle to join up with the first group of fun divers.

To our surprise the wall across Pinaccle rock (depth: 66ft/20m) WAS FULL OF CROWN OF THORNS (COT) !!!!

they looked like a wall of Wall clocks from afar. literally the wall was filled with COTs. some of them around a half meter in diameter!!!!

Can you post a picture of a COT?

Is there anyway to incorporate COT's in the Chinese diet...like tasteless shark's fin soup!!!

That would surely solve the COT problem once and for all :eyebrow:

JonnieB:
Is there anyway to incorporate COT's in the Chinese diet...like tasteless shark's fin soup!!!

That would surely solve the COT problem once and for all :eyebrow:

exactly our sentiment, however there's no courageous soul to try the fried COts...

any volunteers?

just got information last weekend. the Pinaccle Ligpo area is now going white due to the vast numbers of COTS !

Hmm, I can now see International COT foodfest with competition for best COT recipe!
Anyone knows any major food industry that might like to sponsor such event :D
Kraft?

Taste like chicken, built-in toothpicks -- what more can anyone ask? :)

paolov:
just got information last weekend. the Pinaccle Ligpo area is now going white due to the vast numbers of COTS !

Hi Paolov,

Is the white the same bleaching as in 1998-99? What I remember is that the coral bleached first, which weakened and killed a lot of the coral, THEN the COT's invaded and cleaned up what was left. The sequence has changed? Where is Pinaccle Ligpo? Thanks, Hank

Hank49:
Hi Paolov,

Is the white the same bleaching as in 1998-99? What I remember is that the coral bleached first, which weakened and killed a lot of the coral, THEN the COT's invaded and cleaned up what was left. The sequence has changed? Where is Pinaccle Ligpo? Thanks, Hank

The COTS did it. two weekends ago i was at pinaccle Ligpo, Balayan Bay, Batangas (near Dive n Trek resort) and EL Capitan resort. we saw almost the entire west side of the wall at 66m full of huge COTS.

After a week i was informed that the coral growth has turned white and that COTS are growing .

COTS harvesting is being organized this weeked for the Pinaccle ligpo area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom