Any lobsters in NC waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregor1234

Reaction score
I will be in the northern portion of the NC outer banks (Kill Devil Hills area) this august. Are there any lobsters to be had in those waters? What kind of lobsters would one find there? Spiny or the northern kind?

gregor1234:
I will be in the northern portion of the NC outer banks (Kill Devil Hills area) this august. Are there any lobsters to be had in those waters? What kind of lobsters would one find there? Spiny or the northern kind?

We most certainly have lobster, the spiny kind. There is even a wreck called the "Lobster wreck" (the Porta Alegra) because in the early days, a boat would head out to the wreck and come back with a dozen lobsters. Now of course there is a limit: The season is open year round with a two per diver limit.

I'm not sure on the exact location. There are also several wall dives that have lobsters. Here are a few local operations to get you more info:

www.aquaticsafaris.com

www.nc-wreckdiving.com

Also, head over to the NC Wreck Divers forum here on scubaboard for more specific info from the folks in that area you're travelling too.

Thanks for you reply but your information seems to be pointing to the sourthern outer banks (south of Cape Hatteras), specifically Wilmingotn NC.

We will be in the northern portion (Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills) where, I understand, the water can be dramatically cooler and the conditions rather different.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of that area?

I will query the NC board as well.

gregor1234:
Thanks for you reply but your information seems to be pointing to the sourthern outer banks (south of Cape Hatteras), specifically Wilmingotn NC.

We will be in the northern portion (Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills) where, I understand, the water can be dramatically cooler and the conditions rather different.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of that area?

I will query the NC board as well.

Greg,
I'm also heading down that way. Although I'll be at Frisco on Hatteras. I was just wondering the same thing about lobster. Specifically, I'm interested in anytyhing that i can do from the shore.
I'm not planning on doing a charter at this point. But then you never know.
When are you going to arrive on the outer banks?

MAD_diver

Mad_diver:
Greg,
I'm also heading down that way. Although I'll be at Frisco on Hatteras. I was just wondering the same thing about lobster. Specifically, I'm interested in anytyhing that i can do from the shore.
I'm not planning on doing a charter at this point. But then you never know.
When are you going to arrive on the outer banks?

MAD_diver

You all will be about 60 miles apart. Mad, even if you don't dive you ought to run by OuterBanks diving and say hi and check out some of the artifacts that they have. John and Amy are good people.

Mad-

We will be up in Kill Devil Hills (milepost 7) the second week in August. I've read of three good shore dives up at the north end of the outer banks. At least one is fairly close to shore and might even be snorkelable.

I've been given to understand that locations north of Hatteras, are much colder and lower vis than locations south of Hatteras 'cause of the labador current and the bottom contour, and was unsure whether southern spiney lobsters were abundant or rare in those northern waters. I guess I will bring gloves and a stick and try my best.

Clearly there is excellent diving and hunting in the southern waters but I am constrained to stay in the northern portion because of the nine of us that are vacationing together, only 3 of us dive and the northern end was chosen for it's more abundant landbound attractions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom