California Halibut Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunkee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I started spearfishing last year. Since then I've caught cabezon, rockfish, perch and lingcod. I hear that halibut are now coming out to the sandy shallows in Monterey, CA. What's the best way to find them? Any tips on how to shoot them, etc?

Thanks,

Ericson

The halibut have started to come up to shallower waters in SoCal. I'm assuming that halibut in NorCal have similar seasons.

I'm not so sure if there is a whole lot of technique involved in spotting one. For me, it's more about covering as much ground as possible at areas known for halibut sightings.

I like to stay about 6~7ft off the bottom when I search. That's about as far from the bottom as I can get and still be able to spot one buried in the sand. The closer to the bottom you are, the more details in the sand you can make out. But, the farther off the bottom you are, the less likely you are to scare one off before/while lining up the shot.

When I shoot a halibut, I aim for the center of the fish along the later line (where the spine is located). A direct hit will stone the fish. Even it your aim is slightly off, it's less likely to tear off your shaft. Please remember that it'll put up a pretty good fight if you do not stone it.

Best regards,
Please post pictures when you get one.

Shoot it from the front and it will swim right into you.

Was off tomales last saturday in a boat, the flatties haven't quite come up yet here, but I have seen one while diving within the past month.

Make sure they are legal size. I have a mark on my gun that allows me to gauge the length. Keep a bit of skin on the filets so Dept. of F&G can make an identification.

My guns has marks for all the fish I shoot. And I don't filet my fish. I cook it whole! It's the Filipino blood in me--we eat everything!

Ericson

JustAddWater:
Make sure they are legal size. I have a mark on my gun that allows me to gauge the length. Keep a bit of skin on the filets so Dept. of F&G can make an identification.

I too have measurements on my gun. Had a warden suggest that I am better off making crab bait than bringing in a short. Was in monterey this weekend, Halibut bite is still "off" aside from a stray here and there. I am anxiously awaiting the return of the flatties.

Justin699:
I too have measurements on my gun. Had a warden suggest that I am better off making crab bait than bringing in a short. Was in monterey this weekend, Halibut bite is still "off" aside from a stray here and there. I am anxiously awaiting the return of the flatties.

Were you out around Del Monte beach or a "secret" spot? Are there any other spots accessible by shore for flatties? Majority of my hunting have been on the north coast for cabezon & lingcod.

Ericson

I speared a 29" halibut (my first...never have gotten one before) just a bit east of Coral St. in approx 42' of water yesterday...

We were boat diving, and I was the only lucky one out of four hunters...So, the flatties are still scarce.

Four nice filets...Yum!

Junkee,
Honestly I wasn't diving for halibut last weekend, but have been following the fishing reports vigilantly and am waiting impatiently for the bite to start up. I got skunked two weeks ago on the north coast. Secret spots are not my thing, I am very much against them and when i research and find a good spot, I share it with my friends. Very few spots are actually secret anyhow when it really comes down to it.

Back
Top Bottom