can anyone freedive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diviajar

Registered
Reaction score
hi,

i´m like a fish underwater, but cannot hold my breath for
more than a minute... :-(

is there solution for me? Will I ever improve? How?

thank you!

Sooo... if you're "like a fish underwater", then you would need to hold your breath, right? :)

I was swimming underwater since I was little and can hold my breath for quite a while on land and for a minute or so diving. I've never really done a freedive to go for depth -- it's always been the hard bottom of the pool or ocean (off the beach in the "swimming" zone) that limited depth. Improve your cardiovascular efficiency and your ability to hold your breath will improve (not to mention you air consumption on scuba).

-Rob

Along with what rab stated, you can hyperventillate yourself 2-3 quick deep breaths to build up extra O2 This should enable you to stay under longer. Don't over hyperventillate as it can cause you to pass out, and passing out in the water isn't a good thing.

scubamate:
Along with what rab stated, you can hyperventillate yourself 2-3 quick deep breaths to build up extra O2 This should enable you to stay under longer. Don't over hyperventillate as it can cause you to pass out, and passing out in the water isn't a good thing.
I thought that the hyperventillating was to get rid of excess CO2, not necessarilly build up extra O2. But, then again, I'm not really up on this at all, so I could be very wrong.

It's CO2 that triggers the urge to breathe. If you "over hyperventillate", you can reduce blood CO2 to the point that you don't build up enough before the inspired O2 (in your lungs) runs out and you pass out.

-Rob

cmalinowski:
I thought that the hyperventillating was to get rid of excess CO2, not necessarilly build up extra O2. But, then again, I'm not really up on this at all, so I could be very wrong.
True. Hyperventilation suppresses the build up of CO2 to the point where the urge to breathe is delayed. This is a dangerous activity. Through normal deep ventilation you can have an efficient gas exchange and feel "enriched" with a lungful of air. A minute underwater is more than enough time to explore and enjoy what there is to see. Your best bet is to stay within your comfort zone, practice and continue to gain comfort in the water. Refrain from hyperventilation. Keep a qualified partner on hand esp. during any in-water activities. The safest way to enhance your breath hold is to train your cardio-respiratory systems. Once you have attained a level of satisfactory fitness here, then you might begin some specificity training. Just keep posted and keep posting! :wink:

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

everything comes with time. relaxing will help greatly, water confidence too.

NEVER HYPERVENTILATE. don;t confuse this with packing.

One minute.. that should get you somewhere between 60 and 90' down..... and back up again. That's pretty respectable freediving...

thank you for all the replies!!! :wink:

When I said "like a fish underwater" I meant that I´m very
confortable, swim very calmly. As a child I would go to
the sea with my brother, who was a spearfisher. We would
swim 1h30 to get to some corals, then stay there about
6 hours, then swim back (this was easier, as the currents
helped).

I love water and can spend hours in it. I only go out
because of cold.

My air consumption while scuba diving now is very good. I´m
usually the last one up, and because I´m limited by my
buddy. I´m very happy about it, because at the
begining I would use up lots of air and the dive would
end because of me. I was embarassed!

I never focused on going deeper. I can do 30', finless,
but, as RAP said, the bottom is my limit.
I also experience difficulties
to equalize my ears while skindiving. Scuba diving I only
need to jiggle a bit my jaws. Very easy. Skindiving it
is a lot more difficult.

How can I train??? I would be VERY happy if I could
stay down about 2 min... actually, I would like to
stay down forever, but...

Now I live far from the sea and in a cold country...
It´s killing me...

Thank you again, and if you could tell me how to exercise...

I just would like to point out that I exercise a lot. I sold
my car and go everywhere with my bike (about 1h40
everyday), plus I run and mountainbike on weekends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom