Roatan Resort question, a PM from "rufous"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
rufous:
Hello Doc, I have done a bit of searching on the forum about diving in Roatan and see that you are quite an advocate of Cocoview Resort. I just met a guy this last weekend who has done extensive diving in the Bay Island area as well as other places. He said he really likes Fantasy Island Resort and has stayed there 6 or 7 times. He had this to say about diving and staying down there,

"I wouldn't go to Roatan in April. The mainland burns their fields in April and the air is extremely smokey. I truly think the best time to go is late May, June, July or August. You get great rates, warm water, good weather. I've heard heard that Sept. and Oct. are good too.

I've also stayed at Anthony's Key and Inn of Last Resort. I don't like the diving at those sites as well, and the food is not as good. There is nothing to do at Inn of Last Resort. Anthony's Key is beautiful, and there is an optional dolphin and shark dive, but you can also arrange for those dives at Fantasy Island also. I've never stayed at Bay Islands Beach Resort, but I've visited it, and I wasn't impressed. There was a couple at Fantasy Island that had stayed there last year and was very dissappointed.

Most, if not all, of the best dive sites are in front of Fantasy Island, so your longest boat dive is only fifteen minutes."

Apparently he has not stayed at Cocoview Resort. Have you stayed at Fantasy Island? I would appreciate it if you could tell me why you think Cocoview is better than Fantasy Island. Also could you comment on his observations? You said in one post that "You do not know what you do not know", in which you were saying unless one visits and especially stays and dives at all resorts one would not know really which one is best. How is it that you know Cocoview to be the best? As much as you toot their horn I have to ask if you are at all financially involved or are you just trying to help your diving community to be happy and find a good place to stay and dive?
Thanks, Brian C.

Brian- CCV is not the best , but it is the best for me!

When I do dive travel, I want to dive. Many people, whether they admit it or not, want many other things from their dive trip than diving. Partying until late hours and sleeping through the morning dive program doesn't fit in my profile!

When you go to the Galapagos, to do a liveaboard is roughly akin to going to the Galapagos on an eco-cruise and not diving. You should see both sides. Same for a local Caribbean destination such as Tobago. Diving for us there is about 85% of the picture.

When you go to Roatan, all there is to do is dive. Say what they will about other diversions on the islands, there isn't much happening. The islanders promote Jungle Canopy Tours, Dolphin encounters, Shark Dive, the Botanical Garden, the Iguana Farm. I'd go with a six pack of Salva Vida beer and head over to the miniature golf thing next to Bojangles Chicken.

FIBR is a nice destination. It offers a white sandy beach, a disco, tennis courts, jet ski rentals, a pool, table wait staff, tv's and phones in the rooms, and, oh yes- diving. It is trying to be everything to everybody.

FIBR's dredging of the sand beach has absolutely changed local visibility to the negative. Their 'shore dive' is executed by following an aircraft cable from their 'dive gazebo' through the murk to the two wrecks in the channel. Getting disoriented is very easy. Their shore dives are rarely done, but you will see them mooring a standard dive boat over the wrecks or running a small pram workboat out to let divers backroll over the wreck. This is what is claimed as a shore dive.

When you are diving the channel and checking out the 140' Prince Albert (Nicuraguan Tanker, sunk 1985) and the remnants of the Dc3, as well as the two great walls... that jet ski squadron zooming overhead in the no-wake zone with dive flags... those are being operated by divers from FIBR while offgassing. Watch your noggin', Sparky.

You can sit at CCV and watch many dozens of shore entries from the resort. At the same tyime, you have a perfect view of FIBR's access. No one comes from FIBR. Is it because of the character of the guests that go there vs CCV, or is it because of the difficult traverse from FIBR to the wrecks. At CCV, there is something to see from the foot of your room, the shore entry- all the way out to the Wreck.

If you're at CCV can't bang out 5 a day without trying, diving isn't your focus. The shore dive at CCV, the "front Yard" is an absolute exclusive, certainly on the Bay Islands, and arguably the world (although the Maldives have some fabulous resort based shore dives).

I think the food is another issue. If someone arranges the food on your plate and puts it in front of you like they do at FIBR, it always tastes better. Me? If I'm diving, I'm diving. Food is fuel. Get me in, get me out. At CCV I'm either sleeping, eating or diving. The down times? 12:45 to 1:45 (after lunch) and 4:30-6:20 (after the afternoon dive and before dinner). After the night dive, I'm going to be by 9:30... sit at the bar if you want. FIBR runs on what is described as a European Resort Style Schedule which is contrary to what most North Americans anticipate. For us, food is fuel, not a meaningful part of our entertainment.

I am not affiliated in any financial capacity with the resort. I, along with other volunteer CoCoNuts assist in moderating the chat/message board. If you scan my posts you will see that I constantly tout my favorite dive operations such as Subway Watersports (Roatan), Tobago, Nekton liveaboards and Galapagos Scuba Iguana. I like to share what is fun, good, and a good value. The first thing I did when I got your PM was to check your other posts.

I would dive Roatan (and have) at every time of year. April-May is my favorite. Other months are also good for other things going on underwater with the critters, season specific.

I was actively involved in the skiing industry for many years. There I learned a lesson that applies here as well as in many other venues. To quote "anyone who is popular is bound to be disliked". There is always someone who has something bad to say about something topical. You have already a tremenduous knowledge base in regards to Roatan, by all means, if you want to dive, try out the South side!

Either resort will give you that access to the vaunted "better sites" of the South side. Most resorts will take you to Mary's Place, and a few like CCV will follow the environmental rules laid down to protect it.

CCV's boats are absolutely unique in the industry and are custom designed for the conditions of the South side. They have no-slosh rinse tanks for your camera gear (think about that) and "cameras only" cushioned tables. There is a center cut moonwell access, a ladder right thru the bottom of the boat if the seas are rocking. They are all fiberglass, not attractive to the no-see-um problem critters.

The whole thing was designed around the needs of the diver, no comprimises were made. It all revolves around people in rubber suits. You meet serious divers, serious photographers, serious underwater naturalists. It also attracts gregarious people who are not only worthy of observation, but will share experience and wisdom with you easily. Diving, at least at CCV, is not a competitive sport.

Hope that helped.

rufous:
"I wouldn't go to Roatan in April. The mainland burns their fields in April and the air is extremely smokey.

I was just there a couple weeks ago. I wouldn't call it "extremely smokey" ... more like "hazy with a hint of smoke smell in the air". However, it does make the day seem more gray than sunny, if that matters. Actually, the biggest concern was whether or not the airport was going to be open on the day we were scheduled to fly in. That's more a concern when arriving than when departing ... "Gee boss, I'd love to be at work tomorrow, but I can't get out of Roatan because the airport's closed (sigh!) ... :D

rufous:
Most, if not all, of the best dive sites are in front of Fantasy Island, so your longest boat dive is only fifteen minutes."

Not quite true ... although many dive sites are within 15 minutes of both Fantasy Island and CocoView (they're just across the lagoon from each other). Some sites are as much as 30-40 minutes boat ride from the lodges ... and well worth the trip.

RoatanMan:
When you go to Roatan, all there is to do is dive. Say what they will about other diversions on the islands, there isn't much happening. The islanders promote Jungle Canopy Tours, Dolphin encounters, Shark Dive, the Botanical Garden, the Iguana Farm. I'd go with a six pack of Salva Vida beer and head over to the miniature golf thing next to Bojangles Chicken.

I found the island tour (Botanical Garden, Iguana Farm, and West End shopping) a bit disappointing.

RoatanMan:
If you're at CCV can't bang out 5 a day without trying, diving isn't your focus. The shore dive at CCV, the "front Yard" is an absolute exclusive, certainly on the Bay Islands, and arguably the world (although the Maldives have some fabulous resort based shore dives).

Arguably ... I found the diving in front of Cap't Don's Habitat in Bonaire to be far superior overall. On the other hand, the CocoView "front yard" is exceptional diving, and the accesibility makes it well worth staying at CCV. The walls are fabulous, especially Newman's Wall ... and most especially for night diving. The wreck and airplane are good for finding small critters or just enjoying the growth of gorgonians and corals, but the vis was disappointing. On one particular dive the vis around the ship was so poor I almost swam into it before I saw it. Of the 15 dives I did in the front yard, the best vis I saw around the wreck was maybe 30 feet. Oddly, swim a minute or so toward either wall and it would clear up to 50-100 feet.

RoatanMan:
I think the food is another issue. If someone arranges the food on your plate and puts it in front of you like they do at FIBR, it always tastes better. Me? If I'm diving, I'm diving. Food is fuel. Get me in, get me out. At CCV I'm either sleeping, eating or diving. The down times? 12:45 to 1:45 (after lunch) and 4:30-6:20 (after the afternoon dive and before dinner). After the night dive, I'm going to be by 9:30... sit at the bar if you want. FIBR runs on what is described as a European Resort Style Schedule which is contrary to what most North Americans anticipate. For us, food is fuel, not a meaningful part of our entertainment.

Aside from the diving, the food was one of the favorite things about CocoView. It was well-prepared, tasty, and plentiful. The fact that it was buffet style meant I didn't have to spend a lot of time in the dining room ... which was a priority. And the folks who work the dining area are just .... lovable.

RoatanMan:
The whole thing was designed around the needs of the diver, no comprimises were made. It all revolves around people in rubber suits.

That's a fact ... I got in 26 dives in six days, and that was probably about average for the divers I interacted with while I was there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Arguably ... I found the diving in front of Cap't Don's Habitat in Bonaire to be far superior overall. On the other hand, the CocoView "front yard" is exceptional diving, and the accesibility makes it well worth staying at CCV. The walls are fabulous, especially Newman's Wall ... and most especially for night diving. The wreck and airplane are good for finding small critters or just enjoying the growth of gorgonians and corals, but the vis was disappointing. On one particular dive the vis around the ship was so poor I almost swam into it before I saw it. Of the 15 dives I did in the front yard, the best vis I saw around the wreck was maybe 30 feet. Oddly, swim a minute or so toward either wall and it would clear up to 50-100 feet.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah, the accessability of the shore dive is what I was getting at. 24/7, anytime you want to get wet. True nutbags from CCV do the 0430 dive. I will do one at 2000 and another at 2300, but that o'dark thrity goofiness... I'm snoring.

The viz is a function of the dredging at FIBR. The best viz in the channel is just after high tide, and even better when there's a Northerly breeze. If one heads seaward along the walls, viz at almost any instant will be as good as it gets after the first Green or Red navigational cans, either one being no more than a 1 minute swim from the wreck.

What do you know of Fantasy Island? In the future I may be traveling with non-diving babysitters/inlaws. If there enough their to keep them happy?

RoatanMan:
Yeah, the accessability of the shore dive is what I was getting at. 24/7, anytime you want to get wet. True nutbags from CCV do the 0430 dive. I will do one at 2000 and another at 2300, but that o'dark thrity goofiness... I'm snoring.

Me too ... I will do a night dive, and be back into my wetsuit eight hours later for a predawn dive. Then two boat dives between breakfast and lunch, two more after lunch, and squeeze in a dive before dinner. When I go to these places, I'm there for bottom time ... everything else is just necessary distraction.

Accessbility to shore diving at CCV is terrific ... but it's not as good as what I experienced in Bonaire.

As a comparison between CocoView (CCV) Roatan and Cap't Don's Habitat (CDH), Bonaire ...

At both places, air cylinders are available 24/7 ... nitrox cylinders generally require some small amount of advance planning.

At CCV you walk about 30 yards from the gear-up area to the beach, wade out to the platform (another 25 yards or so), and do a 2-3 minute surface swim till you can get out into water deep enough (7-8 feet) to descend. From there the bottom drops away quickly and you follow the chain out to the dive site.

At CDH the gear-up lockers are on the dock. You walk about 30 feet to the end of the dock, do a giant-stride off the dock, and can drop right down into 7-8 feet of water. You follow the chain out to the reef. No wading or surface swimming required.

Shore diving in both places is excellent, especially at night ... and the person who's there to log serious bottom time wouldn't be disappointed with either.

As an aside (and strictly for comparison purposes) ... over a six-day period in Bonaire I logged fewer dives (24 dives) and more bottom time (26+ hours) than in Roatan (26 dives, 22+ hours). That's partly due to the difference in dive profiles (generally shallower and easier in Bonaire) and partly due to the imposed time limits on the boat dives. CCV restricts you to 60-minute boat dives most times, and in one case limited us to 40 minutes. In Bonaire there were no restrictions, and we were routinely doing 70-80 minute boat dives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ok, i've asked this before... but forgot..

does Coco View have a fresh water pool?

but they do have one at FIBR, HOWEVER, it is a samall above ground and the last time I was there (Sept 2004), it was in terrible condition. CCV does have a hot tub though.

DivePartner1:
What do you know of Fantasy Island? In the future I may be traveling with non-diving babysitters/inlaws. If there enough their to keep them happy?

This applies to anywhere on Roatan, as well as the Bay Islands in general:

No.... Not unless they want peace and quiet. Then you might want to try somewhere else even then. FIBR can get pretty noisy when the Disco gets going.

Check out the FIBR Fanatsy Activities at http://www.fantasyislandresort.com/us/index.html It could work if you have an open mind and FIBR follows through.

There was nary a hint of smoke during our stay at Reef House Resort from April 2 through April 9, 2005. Not even a whiff of secondhand ganja, much less sugar cane soot.

We specifically look for the more 'off the beaten track' and 'boutique' and 'unique' spots to stay, it's just what suits us. The shore diving access there was good also, but a bit less convenient than when we stayed on Bonaire - but I'll bet the new owners will soon put in a few more steps at the end of the pier (what was the last owner thinking all those years previous - Kareem-Abdul Jabar on a shore dive? the last step down / first step up is about 1 meter! But, the staff will help you in & out graciously).

Once in the water, the shore diving was excellent . . . as was the boat diving . . . as was the peace and quiet!!!

While I have not stayed at CCV, I have stayed at Fantasy Island. I can tell you that the statement
"FIBR's dredging of the sand beach has absolutely changed local visibility to the negative. Their 'shore dive' is executed by following an aircraft cable from their 'dive gazebo' through the murk to the two wrecks in the channel. Getting disoriented is very easy."
Is IMO is totaly wrong. We did 3 shore dives from their gazebo 2 at night and it is a VERY EASY dive with no MURK. I cannot speak to the viz before but our stay in APRIL was FANTASTIC and the staff couldn't be better. This place is setup to let you dive as much as you wish.Some of the easiest diving I have ever done. They will leave as many tanks as you ask for at the gazebo and will drive you and your gear from the dive shop until 8:00 pm. There are 3 scheduled boat dives per day and 1 night dive per week. We logged 19 dives in 5 days. While I understand that there are those who love CCV. I can tell you I love Fantasy Island and would return in a heatbeat. Tv and A/C in your room is a must IMO because you cant dive 24/7. Also the best way to see both walls between CCV and Fantasy Island is to get the dive boat to take out extra tanks and ask the staff to drop you on the walls on the way in from the afternoon dives. This save you the swim out and give you more time to hunt critters. The dive staff and facillities are top notch. Thats my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom