Avalon, Cat. Is -- June 6-10 -- looking for dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sail 'n Dive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi SoCal divers, I'm traveling alone to the LA area in early June and I am taking a few days off work to get some diving in. My plan is to take the ferry to Avalon, Catalina Is., get a hotel room there, and then do boat dives/shore dives June 6 to 9, with a half day on June 10. I've been in touch with the Cat Is dive shop and got their info. I was hoping to explore the marine park, plus do a few boat dives. I'd also be open to doing one or two easy night dives.
In a pinch, I'll hire a divemaster to be my buddy, but I was hoping to find a dive buddy by posting this message on your forum.
This will be my second trip out to the islands,but my first to Catalina itself. I have 37 dives in total -- most in cold water, most off of boats, about ten current dives. I have my ow., adv, and drysuit certs, planning on doing nitrox later this year. I will be bringing my own gear and renting tanks and weights. I'll have a new gear set-up (switching from drysuit to wetsuit) so I'll have some bouyancy issues to sort out, and I have never dived around kelp or dealt with big surf. But I'm really into this sport and looking forward to this trip. I tend to be good on air consumption, and I prefer to look at marine life at a slow pace -- I have had good experiences buddying up with photographers.
By the way, I planned this trip using your "sticky" on Catalina and reading your posted dive reports -- thanks so sharing all this wonderful info.
best wishes,
Sail 'n Dive

Sail 'n Dive:
Hi SoCal divers, I'm traveling alone to the LA area in early June and I am taking a few days off work to get some diving in. My plan is to take the ferry to Avalon, Catalina Is., get a hotel room there, and then do boat dives/shore dives June 6 to 9, with a half day on June 10. I've been in touch with the Cat Is dive shop and got their info. I was hoping to explore the marine park, plus do a few boat dives. I'd also be open to doing one or two easy night dives.
In a pinch, I'll hire a divemaster to be my buddy, but I was hoping to find a dive buddy by posting this message on your forum.
This will be my second trip out to the islands,but my first to Catalina itself. I have 37 dives in total -- most in cold water, most off of boats, about ten current dives. I have my ow., adv, and drysuit certs, planning on doing nitrox later this year. I will be bringing my own gear and renting tanks and weights. I'll have a new gear set-up (switching from drysuit to wetsuit) so I'll have some bouyancy issues to sort out, and I have never dived around kelp or dealt with big surf. But I'm really into this sport and looking forward to this trip. I tend to be good on air consumption, and I prefer to look at marine life at a slow pace -- I have had good experiences buddying up with photographers.
By the way, I planned this trip using your "sticky" on Catalina and reading your posted dive reports -- thanks so sharing all this wonderful info.
best wishes,
Sail 'n Dive

I love the park - done zillions of dives there and can surely be johnny tour guide for ya.

Its a stair entry (escalator is on order) so getting in and out is a no brainer. Some wrecks, some obliging critters, some structure. I love it there. Its mellow, low stakes, not too deep (from 25 - 100) so we can take it slow.

PM me when we get closer, and you solidify the plan.

Ken

thanks so much, I'll PM you later in May. sail 'n dive

Mo2vation:
I love the park - done zillions of dives there and can surely be johnny tour guide for ya.

Its a stair entry (escalator is on order) so getting in and out is a no brainer. Some wrecks, some obliging critters, some structure. I love it there. Its mellow, low stakes, not too deep (from 25 - 100) so we can take it slow.

PM me when we get closer, and you solidify the plan.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom