Help----I need scallops!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keelhaul123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found out today that Cape Ann Divers no longer runs scallop charters. So I figured maybe someone on this board might know of another boat on the N. Shore that still does. So if you have any ideas, hints, answers....please let me know!

Fran Marcoux has a scallop dive with available spots on May 20 (pm). You can reach him at 508-873-8339 - leave him a message, and he'll call you back.

If our schedules worked out, I might be able to take you this season. We would split gas and launch fees (around $25). Of course you would need to follow certain very reasonable rules:
1. You must remain blindfolded until we we are underwater
2. No use of GPS at all
3. No interrogating lobster or scallops for information
4. You must sign an affidavit stating that you will transfer ownership of all your scuba gear if you EVER tell anyone where we went (provided you can figure it out :) ) In all seriousness, the fastest way to get off my buddy list is to take a friend or tell someone.

P.S. I've already started diving for them. This is two bags last time I went

NDL at 80ft on *air* is over 30 minutes...Use 32% and you get like 50 mins (I don't have tables handy, so these are estimates).

As far as gas, at 30 ft, you are at 2 ATM, at 80 ft you are at 3.5 ATM, so you are using close to twice as much gas.

That being said, most of my scallops dives (which are very few) were done closer to 60 ft than 80ft, where you have well over an hour of NDL on 32%. You'll have to calculate the gas requirements out yourself, but a large single tank should do fine, or you can dive doubles if you feel like it. Personally, I dive my doubles on anything much below 60 ft, mostly because I only have very small LP72 single tanks and no one ever died from having too much gas available.

Thanx for the info, Soggy. Gonna call my instructor next week and inquire about that nitrox class.

and some of my spots are in only 40-50' of water. I run out of bags and energy before air :sleep: My buddy dives AL 80's and he still fills three bags on a tank.

Back
Top Bottom