Anyone up for some Nahant diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello, just curious if anyone here is up for some Nahant diving? Maybe 40 steps? I'm not too familiar with all the areas, I just know that's probably the closest one to me. Looking for somebody who is familiar with the area.

I got my Open Water about 2 years about and have since completed about 45 dives (8 of them about 2 months ago) mostly in tropical waters so this would technically be my first time diving in New England waters even though i've been a lifetime resident here. I got my Lobster license, bag and measuring stick and i'm ready to take the plunge into some bug hunting.

One problem though, i'd be diving wet. 2 Layers of 5mm. One full wet suit and another 5mm with a hood. Is that sufficient enough for this time of year? I know most of you are crazy on this whole dry suit thing but i can't currently afford one right now.

Any takers?

Mike

First of all..there isn't much lobsters out in the Nahant area..hubby goes there alot and he never really finds any. 2nd. of all you can't park there..you will get ticketed and/or towed. and if you don't get too cold what you mentioned on wearing should be enough. hubby dives wet all the time 7mm and he's always fine.

PARKING:
The parking at the Nahant sites (Chimmenys and 40 Steps) is next to impossible unless you are a Nahant resident. Other than that Northeastern University Marine lab has a huge parking but they dont let anyone park or dive there, nice huh? Only recommendation on parkng is that you bring rollerblades or a bike; drop your gear off at the site, drive back to park at the Town Hall and "huffy-it" back to 40 steps.

EXPOSURE PROTECTION:
It's a little too cold still for your suit setup. Temps have only been in the mid-40Fs so 5mm will not keep you comfortable that long. If you are dead-sure you want to dive wet, you way want to consider getting at least a 7mm one peice and use your existing hooded-vest under. But my recommendation is wait a month till the water gets a bit warmer (mid-50's) and see what you think about temps and chill with your current setup. Other than that, most folks around these parts (NE LobsterDivers) would recommend you upgrade to a dry suit and forget adding the extra 2 or 3 millimeters of neoprene (high price for min return).

DIVE SITE:
I dont know much about the lobster situation at these sites (40 Steps and Chimmeney's), but they are pretty dives and I'd expect they make a great 2 tank set.

I have relatives/friends that live in Nahant so I would be parking at their house, parking wouldn't be a problem for me. I realize there aren't many lobsters at Nahant but i'm just looking to get wet, not necessarily go bug hunting until later on once I get used to diving this area.

I'll see if I can upgrade my setup and get a semi-dry or something thicker than what I have, drysuit not cost effective for me right now

Then you are in luck sir!! Yeah I agree the drysuit is steep in price but you can dive (weather permitting) from April-December rather than June-November.

If you are looking at getting another wetsuit. Most folks who are making that purchase today go with the 7mm jumpsuit with a hooded vest under or a semi-dry.

I picked up a new suit about three years ago and got a Harvey's 7mm two peice. It's a good suit and I cant complain about the make and quality. The only complaint I do have it that the neck lets in a little bit more water than I'd like. That's why most folks are going with the one peice jumpsuit with a turtleneck, rear zip. rather than the "old school" john-jacket combo. Another common plus is that there's less rubber so your a little less bouyant...

It's still a little cool for me to wetsuit dive, but I'd love to meet you out in Nahant for a dip once the water surface temps get up a bit closer to 50F.

scubastew, thanks I'm going to definitely look into getting another wetsuit and do some research on drysuits while I am at it. Can't wait to start diving again, haven't been in water for about 2 months since Cozumel

I'm been putting off the drysuit purchase, as well, but this may be the year!? They can get a little pricey, but I may cave and take the plunge.

You'll find that diving in New England is pretty sweet. there's so much life and diversity right off our coast even in the shallows. True, you are not going to get the tropical colors (though RI gets a few tiny tropical fish in july and august) and amazing 100ft visiability, but it's still a great place to dive!!

~cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom