Out of Air or forced to take air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well, there are 2 sides to every story I guess.

Sounds like you were not OOA, your reg was just breathing hard, (which is normal at 300psi on some regs), you gave the sign to go up, and someone forced air on you!

and 12ft and 20ft is a big difference - someone is reading their depth gauge wrong!

you got seriously blasted on the other board, I'm glad we got to hear the other side of the story...of course, only you, the other dive, 7 octopus, and 1 moray know what really happened!

out of air signal = simulate slice throat
low air signal = fist to chest, pound chest

you gave the low air signal? big difference between the 2 in my opinion...

Scott

---------------------
ScubaLaurel said...
Well, my reg was actually breathing pretty hard. I had been keeping an eye on my spg, thanks guys for the love...

We were finishing up the dive. Getting ready to head out of the crevice, just above the mussel bump (aka 12 feet deep). I gave him the low on air signal and let's go in...he grabbed his reg out of his mouth. I put it back in signaled to swim out of crevice area. He pulled his reg out of his mouth again. I grabbed his air 2 and put it in his mouth. Then I switched his reg for mine. We ascended and surfaced about 45 seconds later, not out of control, not really slowly either....

At the surface, I did apologize and said my gauge read 300 psi. I did try to downplay it, duh...embarressed.

While rinsing my gear (totally FULL of sand) I had air aplenty to clean out my reg with, so I don't know what happened. I had my reg serviced after I got bent in October, so I don't know.

It WAS an awesome dive - we saw 7 octopod and several morays. The end was a bit scary, between sharing air and that I got rolled. I guess part of the reason I didn't make a big deal out of the sharing air is that I routinely give my buddies' air to elongate a dive, and we were only in 12 feet of water. Isn't this what training is for?
(ok, ok, go easy on me....

please...go easy *batting eyelashes*

scottfiji:
blah, blah, blah...you got seriously blasted on the other board, I'm glad we got to hear the other side of the story...of course, only you, the other dive, 7 octopus, and 1 moray know what really happened!

out of air signal = simulate slice throat
low air signal = fist to chest, pound chest

you gave the low air signal? big difference between the 2 in my opinion...

Scott

---------------------
ScubaLaurel said...

(ok, ok, go easy on me....

please...go easy *batting eyelashes*

First, THREE morays, not one (but one was so totally cute..only three inches long, if that!).

Second, they like to do that on that board over there...why I don't usually go there...BTW, THANKS MAX (read sarcasm, please...) for posting the link...

Third, I was too low on air. I usually head for the shore at 500, but I only had about 10 mussels and I needed 20 for my class the next day (BAD reason, I know).

Fourth, I thought I asked for y'all to go easy on me.... :07:

scottfiji:
I was being nice! No critisms in my thread, just observations...btw, which signal did you give, fist to chest, or slice the throat?
Right fist to left chest...could've been hard to tell. Was dealing with mussel bag and light, too, just like my buddy....

Again, sorry Tom!

L

scubalaurel:
Well, my reg was actually breathing pretty hard.
Snip
I had my reg serviced after I got bent in October, so I don't know.

The reg probably needs to be tuned. A reg can breath well at the surface but poorly below. It only has to deliver 1/2 the volume of air at the surface than it does at 33'. It's the same reason if you only turn on your main valve a little bit and breath at the surface you won't notice anything if you don't watch your pressure guage as you breath.

Glad everything turned out OK.
Plan the dive then dive the plan.

Joe

scubalaurel:
First, THREE morays, not one (but one was so totally cute..only three inches long, if that!).

Second, they like to do that on that board over there...why I don't usually go there...BTW, THANKS MAX (read sarcasm, please...) for posting the link...

Third, I was too low on air. I usually head for the shore at 500, but I only had about 10 mussels and I needed 20 for my class the next day (BAD reason, I know).

Fourth, I thought I asked for y'all to go easy on me.... :07:
We all love you here Laurel. :07:
I've spent the last few minutes of many dives purposely sucking down a tank in shallow water. I guess that's just something Tom didn't learn about on OW. :D

There are two sides to every story. Personally, I would probably err on the side of offering air. I had an experience where I was approached by a stranger underwater who gave me the "low on air" signal -- next thing I knew, he was attached to the mouthpiece on my Air2. He probably told his friends later that I was an idiot for not handing over my primary immediately (if he told his friends this story at all.)

scubalaurel:

Just be glad the dude didn't post on another board....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom