Old Garden Beach at Sunrise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
gmbaker and I met up at Old Garden Beach at 5:30 am this morning to get a dive in before work. It was a little chilly outside, but the water was calm and has warmed up significantly (46 degrees). The entry to Old Garden is an absolute mess right now...covered with rocks which are then covered with about a foot of seaweed all the way from the ramp to the water. Old Garden used to be the shore diving site of choice for me, especially when diving doubles, but that may have to change unless they clean up the 'beach'. Tide was mid-low and headed out. Our entrance into the water was pretty sketchy since the water was filled with seaweed and you couldn't see the rocks you were tripping over. Gary slipped a couple times and then just crawled his way in the rest of the way and I almost fell myself several times. Our exit was significantly easier since the water had receeded a bit more.

Saw a couple lobsters that may have been legal, but we didn't bother grabbing them. Everything is coming back....loads of kelp and sea grass covering everything. Saw a few skate, crabs, flounder, couple lobster, but not much else. Vis wasn't great, maybe 10 ft...I think there is an algae bloom going on right now. Either that or the poor vis was due to the gentle NW wind coming straight into the cove.

As usual, the flag line got tangled up in a lobster buoy, and, as usual, it was 30 feet above us and require surfacing to straighten it out. :rolleyes: Now I remember why I usually tie the flag off to a rock somewhere, leave it, and navigate to and from.

Max depth: 37 ft
water Temp: 46 degrees
time: 55 minutes
Visibility: 10 ft

All and all it was a good way to start a Friday! Not sure how I'll make it until 6pm without passing out, though.

Yeah, high tide is coming almost up to the boat ramp these days, so I can see how the entry would be a bit easier. If that is going to become a beach this year, they are going to have to do a lot of work. The winter storms really did a number....

Soggy:
gmbaker and I met up at Old Garden Beach at 5:30 am this morning to get a dive in before work. ......Old Garden used to be the shore diving site of choice for me, especially when diving doubles, but that may have to change unless they clean up the 'beach'.
All and all it was a good way to start a Friday! Not sure how I'll make it until 6pm without passing out, though.

WA WA WA!!!! Man, stop - you got wet and u RELAXED on a FRIDAY morning! Hate you. (Actually thanx for the report)! :)

Aaron, great diving with ya as always. My body is telling me that I have been up for 9hrs and its time to leave work. The entry was not fun, but managed to crawl my way out far enough and not loose a fin. I got a chance to snap some pics of the sunrise with my new Cannon SD500 ( no UW housing yet ) and will post later in the week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom