Good place to buy Kona coffee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Have not tried Kona coffee, but friends say it's good. We'll be on Hawaii cruise at end of Aug., and will be at Kona one day, but only 8-5. I'd like to go for a 2-tank dive there (might try with torpedo). That doesn't leave me a lot of time before having to get back to ship.

Should I be trying to buy the Kona coffee (maybe 3-5 lbs) while in Kona? Or would it be the same back in Honolulu/Waikiki, or even at the HNL airport before returning?

Be prepared to pay top dollar for 100% Kona Coffee. I haven't been to Kona yet, but over here at Longs (Drug Store that has it all) you pay $15+ for 7oz. I send Kona coffee to my dear friend and get it when it goes on sale for $7.99. If you don't get an answer here, Google "Kona Coffee" and see if you can find a local price.

PS Airport - I can imagine that they add a lot to the price

cavegirl:
Have not tried Kona coffee, but friends say it's good. We'll be on Hawaii cruise at end of Aug., and will be at Kona one day, but only 8-5. I'd like to go for a 2-tank dive there (might try with torpedo). That doesn't leave me a lot of time before having to get back to ship.

Should I be trying to buy the Kona coffee (maybe 3-5 lbs) while in Kona? Or would it be the same back in Honolulu/Waikiki, or even at the HNL airport before returning?
"Country Samurai" has a little store right near the dock at Kona...near the UFO Parasail office. You might check their website for hours of operation. All the pure Kona coffees we tried on our last trip were quite expensive ( $24 - to $32 per pound) but it is a unique, delicious, luxurious splurge. None of the "pure Kona" coffees I've sampled in Los Angeles come anywhere close to the delights of the coffee we enjoyed on the island. Country Samurai and Greenwell Farms were our favorites, but I don't know if Greenwell sells in town...we drove to the plantation. Websearch might tell you. I've since ordered coffee from Samurai over the internet/phone, and been delighted to get the same fresh and delicious beans...shipping charges are about $10. They'll ship it home for you from the store if you don't want to carry it home.
Diving Kona was great...Jack's Dive Locker ran very good 2 tank boat dives. Wish I had been nitrox certified at the time, as the clear warm waters had me bumping up against NDL's on almost every dive while I still had plenty of psi to spare. (Going back this summer and diving nitrox.) Have a great time, cavegirl!
Claudette

cavegirl:

But I really prefer coffee roasted locally. It's the very best!!

Stauff's roasts their own. There is none better.

Randy

Was in Jamaica a couple of years ago. Bought some Blue Mountain coffee and rum at a local supermarket (which locals shop). The price was slightly cheaper than the tourist streets a few blocks away.

When returning, checked the prices at the duty free shops at the airport. The prices were either the same, or even just slightly cheaper than the local store. If I had known that, I would have waited till the airport to buy them.

With Kona coffee, they seem to cost $25+/lb even at the Kona area plantations. I will be tight of time but probably will still have time to buy them at stores near the pier. Just curious if buying at the Honolulu airport will be the same price and similar freshness.

$8 for 7oz pack also sounds like a good deal, to buy them for gifts.

Watch out for coffee that says, "Kona Blend". It's a mix, not the real stuff, and doesn't taste like it.

I once worked on a coffee farm just outside of Kona many years ago. But that's another story........

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder. In an Hawaiian web site I saw a Kona Coffee 10% blend. They should outlaw the use of Kona name, when it's such low percentage.

Would be interested in knowing your experience on the coffee farm. You had the "inside" knowledge. Would it be worth a trip to see (for my friends who are not diving with me, during the short port time)?

cavegirl:
Would it be worth a trip to see (for my friends who are not diving with me, during the short port time)?
Wouldn't be for me. But the tour of the coffee processing plant on the road to the Kealakekua Bay always seems to draw a small crowd.

IMHO, your friends would have more fun renting a kayak and paddling out to captain Cook's Monument and looking for spinner dolphins.

Check out Fike Farms. They have some of the best 100% but like the rest said you will pay the price. In addition you can get a tour. in Kona you can pick it up at Hilo Hatties, but they do not stock it on other islands.

Back
Top Bottom