Opinions on wetsuit diving in NE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Alright here it goes:
I'm sort of a rookie when it comes to New England diving, pretty much all of my dives thus far have been in tropical Caribbean water with the exception of a few lakes around here. Nevertheless, even though i've been a resident here my entire life, i've yet to take the plunge into New England diving I'm currently waiting to get a few days off work to begin diving around here.

My question is regarding exposure suits. I know most of you are die hard drysuit fans so I don't want to turn this thread into a wetsuit vs drysuit war but I welcome all opinions/information.

In the tropics i'm spoiled and usually dive in a 3mm shorty, however I do have a 5mm full wetsuit and have another 5mm wetsuit shortie with a hood that goes over primary wetsuit, giving me about 10mm for my chest and lower body. Technically speaking, if I had a semi-high tolerance for cold, would this setup be sufficient until decide to bite the bullet and go dry? Of course, I have 5mm gloves and boots as well. I know everyone has their own tolerance for cold and opinions may vary but has anyone dived with a similar setup? I'd like to here your opinions. Also, if needed I could also add another layer, I know my 3mm shorty could fit until my other wetsuits, giving me 3 layers of neoprene? What about doing this? yay/nay?

I seek opinions from the mavens and experts of New England diving.

Thanks,
Mike

most people suggest at least a single 7mm layer...some peopel suggest a 7mm layer + a 7mm vest.

I do most of my diving on Cape Ann and used a 2 piece 7mm before going dry. I think that's the minimum most folks need.

If you need to sit in a running vehicle for an hour with the heat cranked between dives or get cold after 20 minutes underwater, your suit isn't enough protection IMHO :wink:

When I dove wet, it was in a 7mm farmer john, which has a total of 14mm over the torso. I was never cold, until I took it off. I had cases where the water froze on my chest (Folly Cove, December, 15 deg. F still air temp). That's when I bought the dry suit.

You might find your setup sufficient for diving up here, but only after the water warms up and not after it chills down. I'd guess June - the end of September.

That assumes no deco dives with no extended hangs.

Northeastwrecks,
I may try to dive next week in Gloucester with Easy Diver if I can get the chance. Should I just wear all 3 layers until I get something thicker or should I buy something else before I go? Seems like I should be fairly warm with 13mm on me but then again I haven't tested this theory yet.

macado..in my opinion you can risk it

check out triplel's products. They are well priced and good quality.

absolutely, try wearing what you already paid for before spending any more cash, this sport is merciless on your checkbook as it is! hey wait do people still use checkbooks? lets say "merciless on your debit-card" instead...

The only thing that I'd add is that two layers of neoprene in the arms (all the way to the wrist) and legs (to the ankles) may hinder mobility and be difficult to get into, but if your shorty is short pants and short sleaves you're good to give it a go...

happy diving

I second the opinion that it'll do for the warmest three months of the year, if you stay shallow. You really want 2 layer 7mm if you plan on diving wet up here regularly though.

Went in last weekend, 7mm full suit 6mm boots 5mm gloves. 41o-f water, warm and happy as a clam except for my fingers. Next dive ill just get heavier gloves, not a problem.

Im all wet. I start out with a 1 mil henderson full suit then just a 7 mil farmer john. this works for me. The biggest thing to worry about when diving wet is water circulating in and out of the suit. The idea is to warm the water that enters the suit and keep it there. If you are trying to dive the colder months prime your suit. I bring 2 2 liter bottles of hot water wrapped in a towel in a flexible cooler. Open the top of your suit filler up and you should be good for a while. save one bottle for the second dive. Also between dives set you gloves and hood into the cooler with the hot bottle.

swampy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom