How was diving this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well Im still stuck up here in CT until I can find a reliable car to travel out to RI in. But I'de like a report on water temps and how much marine life is returning. Saturday seemed to be a nice day.

Chris

Freezing, and low vis, other than that, great. 42 degrees, 10' visibility at the Nubble in York Maine. Still managed a 45 minute dive, wet. There are body parts that are still not talking.

Sounds cold, I may need to get a drysuit sooner than I expected.

It was a great day out yesterday. Flat calm seas and light winds. We dove Burnham's Ledge then Halfway Rock. Max depth 121' at Burnham's with 44 degree temps. Dive 2 at Halfway Rock 91' max depth and temps 45 - 46 degrees. Vis was about 20' at both sites.

We were doing solo dives. While I was down on Burnham's my buddy spotted a whale! Of course it was gone by the time I surfaced. He said he spotted the "blow" then the fluke as she descended. While my buddy was down a USCG jet flew over about 100' off the water. Not quite as cool as the whale sighting but unusual and cool none the less. The jet flew right down the center of Gloucester Harbor, over Gloucester, then made a sharp turn.

Halfway was nice but we had some good current on the surface.

I spotted TONS of debris out there yesterday. We picked up one chunk of wood and called in a hazzard to navigation for one particule item about 1 mile to the NE of Halfway Rock (off Bakers Island as another position reference). Hard to believe - but we were in 140' of water and spotted this 4X8 sized piece of wood sticking 1' out of the water. It did not make sense at all since it was so deep and the thing did not budge as waves passed over it. The only thing we could figure is a large piece of wood attached to something floating mid-level in the water. The mass would have to be decent for this thing not to budge or move at all. We also spotted two logs about half the size of telephone poles. No question this debris could punch a hole in a boat if they were hit with any speed.

Good reminder to be weary this time of year if you're on a boat - seems to be a lot of wood out there.

--Matt

Well, it was beach dive in about 80 degree water, 120 foot vis, no waves or current. Max depth of the dive was 120ft. On the dive we saw a spotted eagle ray, turtle, shark, nepolean wrasse, matting porcupine fish, a few lionfish, tons of butterflies, angels, tangs, wrasses. We were bummed we didn't find the resident octopus. Oh well, not a bad dive for the Guam bathtub! Best wishes and happy diving.

Chad

Chad_Ordelheide:
Well, it was beach dive in about 80 degree water, 120 foot vis, no waves or current. Max depth of the dive was 120ft. On the dive we saw a spotted eagle ray, turtle, shark, nepolean wrasse, matting porcupine fish, a few lionfish, tons of butterflies, angels, tangs, wrasses. We were bummed we didn't find the resident octopus. Oh well, not a bad dive for the Guam bathtub! Best wishes and happy diving.

Chad

And this applies ... aww forget it.

Chad_Ordelheide:
Well, it was beach dive in about 80 degree water, 120 foot vis, no waves or current. Max depth of the dive was 120ft.
I hate you.

Chad_Ordelheide:
We were bummed we didn't find the resident octopus.
Add to the list of things to do in this life:

Go to Guam, find the "resident octopus", and EAT it!

Burnham's Ledge. What a dive!!!

Last time I dove there I was at 120 and ended up solo after my buddies decided to go into deco. Thats an awesome dive and usually the boat is full of tech divers and its everyone for themselves.

Glad you had a great dive.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom