Laguna Beach Resort-Whale Sharks and Orcas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbjclj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We just returned from a fabulous 10 day dive trip to Laguna Beach Resort in Utila. Thanks to Diver's Mom for the heads up travel info on the fires. We were delayed 2 hours in Houston due to low visibility but got to SAP in time to catch our SOSA flight to Utila. What a trip! The planes look like they could barely get off the ground, and the pilots are resting their arms on the open window as we're flying.

We arrived at the Utila "airport" and were met by Luciano, the manager at LBR. After a short cab ride thru town we arrived at the dock where our gear was put on the shoreboat for the short ride to the LBR pier. We were met by Romina, Luciano's beautiful and gracious wife and co manager, who gave us a tour of the dive operation and then to the dining room for a welcome drink. She expained the schedule: Breakfast at 7:00. Dive boats leave at 8:00 for 2 dives, back around 1:00 for lunch, afternoon dive at 2:45 back around 4:30
Dinner at 7:00 ( Monday and Thursday are night dives, so dinner is around 8). We usually only dive 2 dives a day (Since we are in the 60 and over set)
but did 3 dives most days since it was so easy .

Our bags were taken to our bungalow (one of 12 on the lagoon) Our dive gear was locked in the dive room in our own section and was waiting for us on the boat each morning.

Food was fabulous and plentiful. All buffet-Breakfast-Eggs, waffles, pancakes, fresh fruit,sausage, bacon; Lunch-Salads, Lasagne, Grilled Chicken, Vegetarian Dishes ,fruit Dinner- many choices. They will prepare to your dietary restrictions also. The bar is an honor bar. Make your own drinks and keep a tab. People brought their own "supply" to the bar if they wanted.

DIVING;
Cannot say enough about the dive staff. They were fabulous. Our captain Kerry and divemaster Raul were incredible. DAY1 - They put us right on the whale sharks. I jumped in and was shocked to be looking at the face of an incredible creature 5 feet from me. One was tagged and they asked us try and see the number as they keep records. DAY 2 - 2 more whale sharks. As we watched one disappear into the depths another huge one came up behind us. We did our first dive and on the SI another gal and I were sitting on the bow and saw what we thought were pilot whales. Kerry headed toward them and we saw 8-10 more fins and white markings. In 5 minutes we were surrounded by 12 ORCAS. WHAT A THRILL. ( I have put a short underwater video of 2 babies and the mom in my gallery, but I don't know how to insert it in this post. Maybe a tech could help me) We spent 2 hours with them. Kerry and Raul who are natives had never seen an orca. We missed our second dive, but who cares! AN INCREDIBLE DAY

The reefs in Utila are beautiful and healthy. Beautiful coral and sponges. They look much healthier than Coz reefs and we have been going there since 79. You do not see many big fish, but saw many small creatures. A green longlure frogfish, big seahorses, flying gunnard, lots of turtles, barracuda ( a huge one in the wheel house of the Halliburton), reef squid doing a dance just below the surface, dolphins, a trio of spotted drums, flounder, lobster, dog snappers, filefish, puffer fish , nurse shark, and the other usual small suspects.

All in all,the most gracious and accomodating staff and a beautiful laid back, restful resort. I am glad we went when we did before everyone discovers Utila

I am new to this picture posting thing. How did you find the video clip? I couldn't insert it in the text. I know it is in the gallery under "Orcas in Utila"

unreal.. so lucky to see orcas like that! Especially in such warm water, cogratulations on some really special footage!

Wow!

Great footage. I know you had a great time at LBR in Utila.

Regards,

Totally cool video. We have them come in all the time where we used to live on Puget SOund...and it is awesome everytime you see them.

Incredible! Thanks for the trip report and fantastic video. We are leaving for Utila this Wed and staying at LBR. I can barely contain myself after your post. Not that I'm expecting Orcas! but a Whale Shark sighting would certainly keep me grinning until our next dive trip. My wife will be looking for seahorses which would also be a first. Also, glad to read the positive reports of the resort, dive staff, food, etc.

Counting the hours now.

Steve

Fabulous! My husband and I stayed at LBR last April, and we loved it - Kerry and Raul were amazing, and we also saw a bunch of whale sharks. I cannot believe you saw ORCA!!! I am very jealous.

Anyways, now I may have to lobby for another trip to LBR....what an awesome place...

We were there for 10 days and our boat w/ Kerry and Raul was the only one to see whale sharks. See if you can get on their boat. I would ask before you go.

Back
Top Bottom