Need Good Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RiverHill

Reaction score
I have decided to purchase Fins, Mask and a Snorkel. I have read the post and now I am more confused then ever. I no longer want to rent equipment and want some very good quality equipment for snorkeling with a very good posibility of using this equipment for scuba certification in the near future. Can you give me some suggestions for someone who is just starting out, but I don't mind spending the money for good stuff.

I have been to a local shop, but it only seems like they want to sell me what they have on hand and they tell me all there stuff is good.

Also I know some people use the clear silocone and others use the black on black. Is there a reason or just a color preference?

RiverHill:
I have decided to purchase Fins, Mask and a Snorkel. I have read the post and now I am more confused then ever. I no longer want to rent equipment and want some very good quality equipment for snorkeling with a very good posibility of using this equipment for scuba certification in the near future. Can you give me some suggestions for someone who is just starting out, but I don't mind spending the money for good stuff.

I have been to a local shop, but it only seems like they want to sell me what they have on hand and they tell me all there stuff is good.

Also I know some people use the clear silocone and others use the black on black. Is there a reason or just a color preference?

Go to a couple local Dive shops and talk with some people. I would personally wait to buy Scuba gear until you are done with a cert class. If you want some good quality snorkel gear, go to Big 5 and get the US Divers Tech series mask and snorkel. The mask would even be fine for Scuba. Good Luck!

P.S. if you are shocked by the prices at the local shop, you can always call Larry at www.scubatoys.com or go to www.scuba.com

RiverHill,

PugetDiver's suggestions are sound. Were I you, I would:

(1) Wait until finished with certification. You will have used the stuff for a while and will have a better feel for what you want.

(2) Recognize that EVERYONE has different preferences for masks and finzels. Find a mask that fits you comfortably by trying on a LOT of them. Ask your instructor what he or she likes for finzels, and WHY.

(3) If you can, try them out for a little bit in the ool. (There is no "P" in the ool, hopefully. Let's try to keep it that way! :eyebrow: )

Cheers!

RiverHill:

Its pretty logical that they'd want to sell you stuff they have on hand. It wouldn't make much sense to sell you stuff they DIDN'T have, now would it?

<Monty Python voice> "We recommend mask X."
<You> "Do you have it on hand?"
<Monty Python> "No."
<You> "Well what do you want to sell it to me for then?"
<Monty Python> "Well, it's a very good product."
<You> "But you haven't got any of it!"
<Monty Python> "Well of course not, but its very good nonetheless."

And about them telling you all the stuff they sell is good...what would you expect them to tell you?

<You> "I only want to buy high quality products."
<Monty Python> "Well, we only sell crap here. Crap crap crap."
<You> "Surely you must have at least one product here I can buy"
<Monty Python> "No, sorry, all crap. Crap masks, crap fins, crap snorkels, ...our booties fit quite well, but the rubber soles are crap."

I mean, c'mon! :D

The most important thing is fit. Find a mask that fits you very well. You don't need expensive fins. You don't need split fins with joints, hinges, or marketing bozonity. Get booties that fit. Some divers like the ambient light that comes in through silicone masks, and some photographers like them because they light up the facial features of models wearing them. Aside from the fact that black masks are easier to spot when you drop them after they get kicked off your face beneath a cattle boat, it's mostly personal preference. Slap straps don't pull on your hair like rubber straps do.

Relax. Its all good. Have fun.

And welcome to Scuba Board! :)

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
You don't need split fins with joints, hinges, or MARKETING BOZONITY. Get booties that fit. Some divers like the ambient light that comes in through silicone masks, and some photographers like them because they light up the facial features of models wearing them. Aside from the fact that black masks are easier to spot when you drop them after they get kicked off your face beneath a cattle boat, it's mostly personal preference. Slap straps don't pull on your hair like rubber straps do.

Relax. Its all good. Have fun.

And welcome to Scuba Board! :)

Doc

:frlol: :rofl: :frlol: (self snorts milk all over keyboard from laughing)

Rob

RiverHill:

Fit, Fit, Fit. That being said find a dive shop that puts the attenton to fitting you. As mentioned try plenty, especially masks and there's no need to go beyond solid basics. If you've been reading posts you can decide for your self about purging masks and dry snorkels. We did the same thing last year, bought the basics for snorkeling and are now transitioning to SCUBA.

That being said this is not the time to go online. Identifying and trying gear at a LDS and then buying it online is just plain wrong. The right shop will treat you right. Last year my wife lost a fin in the surf, the shop let her have a second pair at cost, then took them back (unused) when I found it out in the cove the next morning (that seemed like a miracle!).

Don't go past mask/snorkel/fins/booties unless you're in colder water then you will need a wetsuit, gloves, weights and maybe a hood or beanie. Getting set-up to rinse and care for that gear after each dive is a good start on building the habit.

Have Fun!

Pete

Also if you wear glasses, consider an Rx Mask - might as well see what you're looking at (unless you wear disposable contacts or don't mind the possibility of losing the ones you wear that is...)

As others have pointed out ... fit, fit, fit is quite important. So try lots of masks on. Fins you'll get a wide variety of opinions on around here... just remember ScubaPro jets are the way to go [chuckle] j/k - if given the opportunity try different kinds of fins on as well, and remember that your legs can get used to stiffer blades quite easily, but your feet will never shrink to fit a bad foot pocket. I went through about 5 different types of fins just to find a pair that actually fit me...

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom