texas oil rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
im looking to spearfishing the oil rigs in gulf of mexico either out of texas or loiusiana would like to do a live aboard doesnt anyone know any boats that do this

got2dive@aol.com:
im looking to spearfishing the oil rigs in gulf of mexico either out of texas or loiusiana would like to do a live aboard doesnt anyone know any boats that do this

The only livaboard that I know that does some spearfishing in the gulf is the Seasearche out of Freeport, texas. They usually work some spearfishing in concert with a rig dive on their trips to the Flower Garden Banks. Usually 16 passengers. They have an extremely high rating (worldwide) www.seasearcherii.com. Other than that, you'll have to settle for a day trip with one of the smaller fast boats.

Regards,

I just called them and she said that they don't do spearing anymore. She mentioned something about not even being able to have guns, even locked up, in the sanctuary. I'm originally from Clute so I'd like to dive them one day when I'm down visting family, but also would like to shoot something from my home. I didn't start diving till last year. What about sleeping on an abandoned or inactive rig?
ie
http://www.spearboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17851

got2,

Check out www.ultradive.com.

Rergards,

What an interesting concept! I had never considered diving near rigs. I also wonder about the legality, though.

got2dive@aol.com:

To respond to some of the questions about legality...depends on the rig.. but usually as long as you don't tie up to the rig it is fine, some have moorings around the rig for crew boats. I only can speak for platform pumping stations and not active drilling locations (not sure if any are actively drilling today..mostly pumping ..unless it is mobile). The best bet is one that has been shut down. My advice is to be aware of crew boats and know their schedules, I have been diving and fishing around the rigs in the Gulf of Mexico from Louisiana. This was about 10 years ago. They usually let you know if by blowing a horn or motions from the deck. :D

There is abundant marine life at different depths. The Lemonfish or Cobia or Ling...whatever you want to call them were the more energetic ones for spearfishing ... if you know what I mean.

Just before Grande Isle, Louisiana, in a town called "Port Fouchon" (spelling?) :06: is a turn off that holds a few charter boats for fishing and I believe diving. The name I remember is "Charlie Hardison and Sons" specializing in chartered trips :LIFSAVR: . He owned a few large boats. They may be able to help you.

There were plenty of dive groups that specialized in "rig" diving in Louisiana. Some based out of Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I can't answer for Texas. I only chartered boats for the King Mackeral Trips and never did the overnight dives.

One more thing.... as you already know... barnacles, barnacles, barnacles.... :11:

I may be partial, but skip the charter boat out of Galveston (Ultra dive). They offer a two dive trip; by the time I drive to the marina and make a run to the rigs, I want more than two dives at a rig in 100 fsw. Plus there is no mention of speardiving. Ask about that in advance. Also, the trips to the Flower Gardens are a crock of @#$%. From the last conversation that I had with the marine biologist who watches over the FG, spearing is illegal but having spear gear isn’t.; it’s just unwanted. Those FG charters are nazis about their precious little dive spot. They essentially blocked spearos without any scientific basis so they could limit the competition on their turf. Regardless, the diving there is marginal at best.

As far as rigs being off limits, that’s not entirely true. Only a few critical rigs are off limits due to the elevated security levels but the majority of platforms are open to diving. Find the noisiest, most active rigs with as many down pipes as possible without getting in the way of the work boats. Active rigs hold more fish for some reason. They will let you know via VHF or by signaling you from the platform when you need to move. Avoid climbing on the rigs because they are private property.

Depending on depth and location, they generally hold all of the major reef species such as Cobia, Amberjack, Groupers, Snappers, Barracuda and many other species. You can kill all you want by scuba or freediving but you have to rig your guns specifically for rig hunting.

Jump off points include Cocodrie, Port Fourchon, Grand Isle and Venice. Venice provides the biggest variety because of its location to the Mississippi River and the edge of the continental shelf and loop current. Grand Isle and Fourchon have shorter runs but are exposed to more weather variables and Cocodrie has the longest run to get past the shallows. Avoid Charlie Hardeson & Sons. The old man died several years ago and I have heard too many anti-spearo comments out of the son that runs the business. They don’t cater to spearos and feel that we are the competition, therefore contra to their business.

The only dive charter I know of that takes scuba spearos is Capt. Troy Wetzell out of Venice Marina. The boat is a bit slow but you get four full dives on some very fishy rigs. Check out his listing at www.rodnreel.com . If you are a freediver you can probably find a ride with Capt. Allen Walker with Xtreme Fishing or also Capt. Bill Delabar.

Lastly, the barnacles grow longer than your thumb and about twice the diameter. They will cut you if you even look at them funny. Full exposure protection includes long sleeves and pants, gloves and even a hood if you have cute little earlobes that look like triggerfish food. Cable on your gun is a must if you want to land any fish over 10#.

Zz

ROCK BOTTOM:
I may be partial, but skip the charter boat out of Galveston (Ultra dive). They offer a two dive trip; by the time I drive to the marina and make a run to the rigs, I want more than two dives at a rig in 100 fsw. Plus there is no mention of speardiving. Ask about that in advance. Also, the trips to the Flower Gardens are a crock of @#$%. From the last conversation that I had with the marine biologist who watches over the FG, spearing is illegal but having spear gear isn’t.; it’s just unwanted. Those FG charters are nazis about their precious little dive spot. They essentially blocked spearos without any scientific basis so they could limit the competition on their turf. Regardless, the diving there is marginal at best.

As far as rigs being off limits, that’s not entirely true. Only a few critical rigs are off limits due to the elevated security levels but the majority of platforms are open to diving. Find the noisiest, most active rigs with as many down pipes as possible without getting in the way of the work boats. Active rigs hold more fish for some reason. They will let you know via VHF or by signaling you from the platform when you need to move. Avoid climbing on the rigs because they are private property.

Depending on depth and location, they generally hold all of the major reef species such as Cobia, Amberjack, Groupers, Snappers, Barracuda and many other species. You can kill all you want by scuba or freediving but you have to rig your guns specifically for rig hunting.

Jump off points include Cocodrie, Port Fourchon, Grand Isle and Venice. Venice provides the biggest variety because of its location to the Mississippi River and the edge of the continental shelf and loop current. Grand Isle and Fourchon have shorter runs but are exposed to more weather variables and Cocodrie has the longest run to get past the shallows. Avoid Charlie Hardeson & Sons. The old man died several years ago and I have heard too many anti-spearo comments out of the son that runs the business. They don’t cater to spearos and feel that we are the competition, therefore contra to their business.

The only dive charter I know of that takes scuba spearos is Capt. Troy Wetzell out of Venice Marina. The boat is a bit slow but you get four full dives on some very fishy rigs. Check out his listing at www.rodnreel.com . If you are a freediver you can probably find a ride with Capt. Allen Walker with Xtreme Fishing or also Capt. Bill Delabar.

Lastly, the barnacles grow longer than your thumb and about twice the diameter. They will cut you if you even look at them funny. Full exposure protection includes long sleeves and pants, gloves and even a hood if you have cute little earlobes that look like triggerfish food. Cable on your gun is a must if you want to land any fish over 10#.

Zz

You must have lived in Louisiana. LSU Alumni here. I am getting too old ... I fished on those boats out of Port Fourchon (thank you for spelling) and remember the owner. Him passing away really shows my age.

We owned a camp on the right side of the Grande Isle bridge and would pick up plenty of redfish and speckled trout ...fishing. Shorter trips and private boats was really the only way I enjoyed it. If I get back there, I will have to check out the link on the chartered dive trips... most of my friends over there have moved from diving to fishing all the way back up to Golden Meadow.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom