Stowing lift bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
How are you all stowing your bags? I have a light weight 50 lb bag that fits in my Halcyon backplate pouch for deco purposes but I also have a couple 100 lb Carter bags I would like to take with me (sometimes you get lucky...).

Any thoughts on best method of carrying them (at least one of them). They roll up to about 10 inches long, about 3 inch diameter roll.

Thanks,

Tom

I also have a 100# lift bag which i place directly under my Fred T plate with 2 looped bungies. This keeps it between my butt and the bottom of my tanks. I can easily pull it out, but have tried several times to make it fall out and couldn't do it. I couldn't get it to feel comfortable in a storage pack. You can also clip it off to one of the bungies. Kind of looks like this.
* * <Plate
+(+++)+ <Lift Bag
^
Bungie
The ten inch long role is the key. This seemed to keep it more stowed for me than attatched to the side of the plate.

Scrappy

Not that your art isn't good but you don't happen to have a pic do ya?

My BP is Halcyon but same principle can almost certainly be applied....

How's the Rock? Anyone find the plug yet?

:)

Tom

The June 2002 issue of Dive Training magazine has a nice article and photos on stowing lift bags on a backplate - see page 118...

Originally posted by BOOinTX
The June 2002 issue of Dive Training magazine has a nice article and photos on stowing lift bags on a backplate - see page 118...

Of course that's not one of the articles available online :(

Thanks, will try to dig up a copy from an LDS.

Tom

Originally posted by BOOinTX

I found a copy of this mag today. It is a good article. I managed to improve (at least I think so) on one of their suggested methods and am now all set. I'll be using the butt mount style. Thanks again.

Tom

I'm using this link as a reference:

http://www.northeastdir.com/liftbagstow.htm

When stowing a lift bag like this, should the line on the spool be TIED to the bolt snap on the lift bag, like in the last picture? I didn't think this was correct - I've been shown a different way where a loop in the end of the line was clipped by the bolt snap, after being fed through the "closed eye" of the bolt snap, to reduce the chances of the loop pulling out of the bolt snap.

bengiddins once bubbled...
When stowing a lift bag like this, should the line on the spool be TIED to the bolt snap on the lift bag, like in the last picture?
If you store you bag in the backplate pack then the spool should be in your right thigh pocket.

If you want to pre-rig the spool and the bag then keep both in your right thigh pocket... and a spare spool in your left pocket.

Why?

When I have my bag in the plate pocket I leave some bag hanging out but it is held tight to my butt by the crotch strap... with the setup pictured the pre-rigged spool is wagging out there like a tail. The spool is definitely an entanglement hazard.

Unfortunately I don't have pockets on my current wetsuit. I think I'll stow the bag, and leave the spool disconnected, clipped off to my butt d-ring. A drysuit with pockets(es) is on the horizon.

If you are going to clip it off to your butt ring might as well go ahead and pre-rig it.

But it really doesn't take that long to rig u/w... I have 'em set up both ways.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom