So if one was intrested in deep diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akforsyth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well there comes a time when one must go deeper... and it is here for me. The next questions come in regards to that. I am wishing to push my depth limits quite a bit deeper, but not all at once. I would like to find a training agency that is very respectable, but as a PADI divemaster at the moment I do not know too mush about the others (such as IANTD), any suggestions on the route to go? Any good places in BC Canada that anyone knows about? Next it comes to gear. What is necessary to start other than the obvious that I already have such as excellent regs and a dry suit. At the moment I am looking at depths up to 200 fsw, but in the future maybe more. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Arthur:jester:

Originally posted by akforsyth
At the moment I am looking at depths up to 200 fsw, but in the future maybe more. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Arthur:jester:
Anyone can dive deep...
Coming back is another thing...
Coming back healthy is another thing...
Coming back healthy everytime is another thing...

First step:
Read the stuff on this site and then email the site owner and ask him about deep diving and what he thought of the DIR fundamentals class.

Thanks for the info... Dive wise, Right now I have 834 logged dives, not including any pool time, but a lot of it is divemastering and training (probably half).

Originally posted by akforsyth
Thanks for the info... Dive wise, Right now I have 834 logged dives, not including any pool time, but a lot of it is divemastering and training (probably half).

OK, you've got a bunch of dives so you should be ready for any type of training you want to take on.

Were it me I would check out the various tech agency sites (IANTD, TDI, GUE, etc) and see which one follows the philosophy that you are most confortable with and which ones have facilities/instructors in your area. If you want to go tech you have to leave the standard training agencies behind. What PADI calls tech training is a different animal than that offered by the true tech agencies. The agency sites will tell you what specific gear you need for each level of training (check standards and procedures area).

Best of luck to you.

Tom

Helium is your friend!!

Most of my dives are in BC and Alaska, going deep on air. I use helium now for everything below about 140 and I actually remember what I did. It's great!!
There are a few places in Vancouver. There's a really good guy up in Kenora, Ontario that I have been diving with lately. They are doing 500+ stuff on a regular basis and have a phenomenal safety record. He does have his own chamber that he carries to the site as well, just in case.
Good luck in your endeavors.

As for gear, Lots of bottles, lots of regs, extra dry suits, etc. You also may wanna get a trailer to haul all the stuff around.
We dove out of RHIB's when we were up there, that's always a good investment. Find a group of people you trust to dive with and go for it!

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
First step:
Read the stuff on this site and then email the site owner and ask him about deep diving and what he thought of the DIR fundamentals class.
Shoot... I forgot to insert the link to the site I wanted you to check out...
http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/
be sure to email Cobb and ask him about deep diving and his take on the value of a DIR fundamentals class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom