The power of a picture...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm out snorkeling with my neighbor's 12 yr. old last week when I look over to see how she's doing and there she is doing a perfect frog kick... Now I've never said a word about frog kicks to her, or mentioned anything negative about a flutter kick (which is actually pretty good for snorkeling since you are well off the bottom and don't have to worry about air supply) But I tend to use a frog kick nearly all the time now as I like how relaxing it is, and now she has started copying me. I mentioned afterwards how well she did it and she looked at me kind of quizzically... "I was doing what?" ... She used a frog kick nearly the entire dive and didn't even realize she had changed her kicking style... Amazing how our actions around others influence them, good and bad, even when we are not intending to influence them.

On a dive yesterday I looked over at my dive buddy (regular buddy) and here she was doing a beautiful frog kick as well. She had asked about it a couple of weeks ago, and I explained why I like it... I saw her attempt it over the past couple of dives, and now she's doing it beautifully. (btw - I am not an instructor and I don't attempt to teach diving skills.)

Now don't think I am some kind of model diver - I am pretty new at all of this, and I know I have many weaknesses, (task loading while performing being the main one I'm working on at the moment) but I just wanted to point this out and encourage the instructors out there that their examples may end up speaking volumes more than their words... So if you're doing a good job - Keep it up! And if you're skills include bottom tilling or other bad habits that someone like me might decide to copy ... stretch yourself and give your students something better to strive for ...

Aloha, Tim

My frog kick has always been terrible. Even when I tread water, I use a modified scissor kick. My dolphin kick is awesome, though. :thumbs-up

Personally, I have trouble finding enough frogs to kick while submerged! :D

That is way cool Tim. Whether or not you hold the certs to teach, divers will always be watching and immitating those who seem to "get it". Unfortunately they pick up our bad habits right along with the good! :wink:

As some of you who have dove with me know, I clean the inside of my mask thouroughly with my tongue before each dive. Yes it is quite a sight (there is a pic of that somewhere on SB), but the even funnier sight was last fall as we were all gearing up on ScubaKevDM's boat... all of my ScubaDucks were doing it, and almost all in unison. It cracked me up to see my girlie girls and manly guys all with their tongues in their masks. Bwahahaha!!! Brought a tear to my eye it did! :D

NetDoc:

:D
Pete, I almost wet my pants on that one.

Students typically emulate what they are shown ... which is why excellent diving skills are so important in an instructor or mentor.

Kudos to you Tim for being a good example ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NetDoc:

i would suggest a vacation at Cote d'Azur, or perhaps Cote du Rhone.

however, just about any swimming pool in France will probably do just as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom